Chapter 26: first payment

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

—Eva's POV—

"Please help us. We can't decide between these two options and it's driving us insane," Nick says as Kara and I walk into the studio. We sit down and Joe gets back into the sound booth to re-record it.

I feel my phone vibrating in my pocket and go to decline it when I see it's Logan's number. When I stand up I excuse myself as Joe gives me a confused look through the glass, "What do you want?" I groan putting the phone to my ear.

There's a small pause before he speaks, "Oh sorry, did you forget that you still owe me money?" He asks. I walk out of the room when Kara gives me a questioning glance, "I need some money today," he says as I pace in the hallways outside of the studio.

"I need more of a warning. I can give you $500 tomorrow," I tell him making sure no one is listening. He just scoffs at that and tells me to try again, "The best I can do today is $200," I whisper.

"Is Joe there now? Maybe he has some," he says as I close my eyes trying not to crush my phone, "Oh right. You want this to be kept a secret. I'll be at your favorite diner in thirty minutes," he smiles making my blood run cold.

"I need more time," I plead.

"don't be late," he says hanging up. I look at the studio and call Kara as I start heading for the stairs. She answers in a confused tone as I push the front door open.

"I had a work emergency. Tell Joe I'll meet him at home," I tell her. She goes to ask but I quickly hang up and call a cab. When I walk into the diner he looks disappointed that I made it. Barely but I did. I sit down and slide the envelope of cash over as he sits with that stupid smirk on his face.

"Don't you miss this?" He asks as he hails a waitress over with a flick on his finger. I guess my lack of response doesn't make him happy as he leans back in his seat, "come on...we had a good thing going," he whispers.

"Are we done here?" I ask going to get up but he reaches across the table to stop me.

"I want my next installment in a week," he says making me widen my eyes.

"There's no way I can," I tell him as he cuts me off by sucking his teeth.

"I mean....you don't have to do any of this if you don't want to," he says as if I have a choice.

"I'll have the money. Are we done?" I ask again not wanting to be seen with him. He nods his head and raises his hand. It's like he's living out his fantasies of being a mob boss or something. I'm surprised he doesn't have a pinky ring. I turn my phone back on when I get down the street and see a bunch of missed texts from Kara.

I click her contact and wait for it to finish ringing, "Is everything alright?" She asks when she hears the New York traffic in the background.

"Everything's fine. I'm just sick of all the lying," I state as I make it to the bar Kara and I used to go to all the time.

"I thought you and Joe were on good terms. I thought," she says as I laugh cutting her off.

"I'm kidding myself if I think that's going to continue in a year. I think the best thing I can do is just remain platonic," I whisper sitting down at the bar.

"You should come to Nick's tonight and we can talk about this. I can barely hear you," she says.

"Don't worry about it. I'm just gonna have a me night," I tell her as I hang up not wanting to hear her try to stop me. Everyone's entitled to me time.

-

"Ow fuck," I whisper as I walk into the small bench by the door of Joe's house. A light turns on above me making me jump as Joe walks over annoyed, "Heyyyy," I giggle as he watches my movements.

"Where the hell have you been? Are you drunk?" He asks as I walk closer. I kick my shoes off and run a hand through my hair as I push my door open, "You left earlier to get wasted? Kara has been texting me for hours wondering where you were," he says as I laugh.

"Fuck off Joe. It's only," I say looking at the clock. I squint my eyes and see it's almost five in the morning, "Don't lie and say you haven't been out all night before," I tell him falling onto the bed.

"Did you hook up with someone?" He asks making me lift my head with a smile.

"Why, Ya jealous?" I ask making him clench his jaw, "No...but I could have," I tell him sitting up fully, "God, this stupid fucking bet has ruined my life. I've lost my apartment, my boyfriend, and my career," I complain as his eyes harden.

"Is that what you really think? You think you were better off with Logan?" He asks ignoring the other things I've said.

"I think I was better off with a guy who wasn't paid to be seen with me," I groan in frustration, "I'm young...I shouldn't be wasting my time on a guy who won't think twice about me in two years. Why do you care anyways you're not my boyfriend?," I say opening my drawer to change into my pajamas.

"Get over yourself. Is this what this is about? You're throwing yourself a pitty party cause you're living in an expensive house in order to make money for kids," he says narrowing his eyes, "Call Kara in the morning. I'm done dealing with this," he mumbles walking out of the room slamming the door behind him.