Chapter 23: compensation

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

—Eva's POV—
I don't know if this idea was a good idea. There's music blasting in every room in the apartment. At least seventy people are crammed inside as drinks are spilling all over the floor. With the extra space with no couch or beds, Kara figured it was the perfect party spot, "You alright?" Nick asks walking over with a beer in his hand. I look around and he just takes my hand and leads me to where people are dancing, "Loosen up. Tonight is the last night of Casa de Kava," he says making me laugh. He spins me around making me almost collide with Kara and she dances over. I let go of Nick's hand and took the drink she was handing me.

"To Kava," I say hitting our glasses together. I'm surprised how many people showed up in such short notice. I'm sure she slipped that 2/3 of the Jonas Brothers would be here.

"I don't want to kill your buzz but Logan's here," she says. I look at her and see him standing by the kitchen with a beer, "I told him to get out but he insisted on seeing you," she adds.

"Just what I needed," I say with a big smile as she pats my shoulder with a "Good luck". When I walk over he has a smug smile on his face as he leans against the counter, "What are you doing here?" I yell over the music.

"I need to talk to you," he says standing up, "Somewhere private," he adds motioning toward the hallway. He starts walking and I stand still not wanting to leave with him, "You're gonna want to hear me out. For Joe's sake," he says catching my attention. I look around the room and see him dancing with Nick and Kara. When I turn back Logan's already at the door holding it open.

"What do you want?" I ask as I shut the door, "Why are you here?".

"Come on. I know about your little contract and everything. I'm the one with the upper hand. I can't just let that go to waste," he says making my face drop.

"So, what?"

"Joe has more money than anyone I've ever met. Why shouldn't I be eligible for compensation for him stealing you?" He asks as if he thinks he makes sense.

I roll my eyes and grab the handle to go back inside, "it would be a shame if your little deal got messed up and all those kids lost the money," he says making me freeze again.

"Why are you doing this to me? You couldn't even call me your girlfriend," I tell him.

"The press would really love these," he says handing me his phone, "Why shouldn't his adoring fans see them?" He smiles. There are photos of us from when Joe and I first started "dating".

"Why did you take these? Was this always your plan to just use me for cash?" I ask feeling my stomach in knots.

"Not always but once I realized you were friends with him...that's when it clicked," he explains taking his phone back.

"How much do you want?" I ask lowering my voice, biting the inside of my lip.

"Rockstars on a tour right now. I'm assuming his house is as big are this apartment building. Let's call it an even $10,000," he says seriously.

"You're joking," I say with a small laugh.

"Oh right, the kids and his career aren't worth that, right?" He says getting more aggressive.

"He doesn't have ten grand just lying around," I argue as he shrugs his shoulders.

"Not my problem. It's not like you can tell your management without getting in trouble for telling me. You can tell the cops but the pictures will be all over the internet by then," he says.

"Fine. But Joe can't know. I get paid separately from the money going to the kids. It will take me longer but you'll get your money," I tell him.

"You have three months to get me the money," he says putting his hand on my shoulder. I pull away from him and he just laughs as he walks down the hall to the elevator.

We got 10,000 dollars for the upfront pay. Every time we are seen in public I get $100 from the $500 we earn. This is going to take forever. With losing my apartment and having to look for a new one there is no way I can pay for this. I would have to go out with Joe 100 times in the next three months. That might be doable but I'd have nothing left over. I lean my head against the wall and slide down covering my face with my hands. The door opening makes me move my hands and I look the opposite way of the elevator.

"Eva? What are you doing?" Joe asks as I stand up abruptly.

"Nothing"

He gives me a skeptical look as he shuts the door behind him, "you sure?" He asks.

"I'm fine," I tell him as I go to reach the handle, "Seriously. Let's party," I tell him forcing a smile onto my face. He slowly follows me back inside as I head straight to where we have the drinks. When I take a shot, I turn to Joe who has wide eyes from my sudden movements, "Do you want to dance?" I ask. I won't let him answer before I grab his hand and lead him to the empty living room.

He puts his hands on my hips pulling me closer to him making my breath get caught in my throat. My hands are loosely around his neck as the beat of the music leads us. I gasp as spins me around so my back is pressed against his chest. I close my eyes and let him take the lead as I lean my head on his shoulder. His lips move across my exposed shoulders making a shutter go down my back, "A camera is pointed at us," He says sounding annoyed. I turn back around to keep it more PG as I play with the hair on the back of his neck.

"We are the royal family of New York couples. Of course, there are going to be assholes trying to make a quick buck," I smile.

"Do you want to get out of here?" He asks and I immediately nod my head. He takes my hand and flips the guy off with his other as we make an Irish goodbye, "Excited to stay at Casa de Jonas now?" He asks as we walk to the elevator.

"Depends what kind of roommate you are," I tell him.

"I am a great roommate," he defends.