Chapter 3: Brothers

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

—Eva's POV—

I jump out of my seat as a woman comes out and calls my name. She motions me over and starts walking before I even get to her. I've never been backstage at a concert before. It's quieter than I thought it would be but kind of nice. I turn my head to the lady next to me and realize she's talking through an earpiece. This life is so busy. I feel like everyone I've seen is rushing to get somewhere. This is the one time I don't want to be rushed into something. Kara spent all night making Jonas Brother-related puns. She told me I had to memorize their discography in case I was questioned about it. They have like a billion albums. I just picked a random song and now Pushin Me Away is my favorite. I walk into the door someone holding it open and step inside seeing it's empty.

They will be in right after their performance, she says closing the door behind me. I thank her but there's no way she heard me. There is a mini fridge in the corner but other than that it's pretty empty. A PlayStation is hooked up to a TV, I'm guessing they hung out in here before they went on. I take a seat on a couch in the middle of the room and take my phone out. I already have a million texts from Kara asking if I talked to Nick about her. It's nearly an hour later when I hear men's voices come from the hallway. I don't know if I should stand up or keep sitting up.

"You must be Eva," Kevin says walking over. He holds his hand out and introduces himself and Nick.

" Hey, how was the show?"I ask trying to make small talk. I feel so out of place here as they stand in tank tops and jeans. They must have showered after the show from the looks of their wet hair.

"Good. Joe is still in the shower so we figured we wouldn't keep you waiting," Nick says as he walks over to the mini-fridge.

He holds up a beer and I immediately say yes making the two laugh, "How did you even get stuck in this mess?"Kevin asks as he sits down on the table in front of the couch I was sitting on. 

"My boss decided I was the most trustworthy person for this job. The decision to say yes keeps me up at night," I tell them as I sip on the bottle, "I don't want to sound rude but is Joe really as bad as the tabloids say?" I ask. Kevin shakes his head as Nick squints his eyes with a tilted head, "That wasn't very reassuring," I say with a laugh.

"He's a good guy. We have had the spotlight on us since we were young kids so sometimes it becomes too much. It's just a phase," Kevin says as Nick smiles.

"Phase or not he's kind of a dick and we are thankful you're here," Nick says as the door opens.

"Thanks," Joe says sarcastically as he runs a towel over his head. He glances in my direction before walking to grab a beer, "Let's just do whatever we have to do,"
He says as I nod my head.

"Nice to meet you too," I mutter under my breath making Kevin laugh. The two other brothers look at him confused but he just turns his head and pretends nothing happened. I stand up and just follow along with the other brothers.

"We figured the best way to get more press is by keeping it a secret at first. Magazines love selling information you don't want out," Kevin says as I slow down to walk with him.

"So...we're just gonna walk to your tour bus?" I ask surprised at how easy this is going to be. He nods his head and we stop in front of a door that leads outside.

"Let's go," Joe says holding his hand out. I stare at it before I slowly lift my hand and put it into his. He locks his fingers with mine and I just put a fake smile on. Nick pushes the doors open and it reveals a darker alleyway. Fans are hiding by a fence to get a chance to meet their idols. Joe takes my hand that's locked in his and lets go putting his arm around my shoulders. He talks with the guys but moves closer to me so it looks like he's whispering in my ear.

Fans start going crazy as they see him with a girl that's not them. I totally respect it, I'd be the same way if I was in the presence of my favorite celebrity. He opens the door of the bus for me and lets me walk in first. Kevin and Nick stayed behind to sign some autographs. When he shuts the door the screaming is muffled, "How was the show?" I ask again since he wasn't in the room.

He leans on the small counter in the main room of the bus, "It was good," he says giving me nothing to work with. For a celebrity with media training, he cannot make simple conversation, "You should probably post something to give the fans enough to know it was you," he says as I nod my head. I take my phone out and walk over to Joe. He's standing with his hands crossed over his chest. His shoulders are as tense as they were when I saw him for the first time.

"Do you mind?" I ask as he shakes his head clearly minding. I've done enough research for this stupid job to know what kind of posts make fandoms explode. Kara may have been right about not going in blind. I lean my head on his shoulder and take a selfie where you can see the outfit he was just photographed in. A small part of his chin is showing but not enough to know 100% it's him if you weren't a fan.

I move away from him and start editing it. I make the photo black and white before posting it on my Instagram story, "I want to get this out in the open now. I'm kind of seeing someone and I know I was told to break up with them. But I'm not doing that," I tell him.

"Just tell him to keep his mouth quiet and we are fine," he says as I scoff in disbelief.

"Is this how you talk to everyone? Or do you reserve this for people with a paycheck smaller than $150,000 a year?" I ask.

"I just don't think small talk is going to make this any easier. We aren't gonna be friends so why waste the energy?" He asks with a matter-of-fact attitude.

"Why couldn't Kevin have been the one who needed a fake girlfriend?" I ask as the other brothers walk in.

"Cause I'm happily married," he says as I look at him shocked, "I don't know if I should be offended or not by the look on your face," he says.

"I don't really know anything about you guys," I tell them as I adjust my bag on my shoulder.

"That's why you're here," Nick says opening a cabinet with a bottle of tequila, "The quickest way to a person's heart," he smiles as I blink rapidly. Joe tries to walk away but Kevin puts an arm around his shoulder.

"Bonding time," he says making me laugh at the look on Joe's face. I don't think I'm prepared to get to know the Jonas Brothers.