Chapter 8: Adoption Day

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

—Eva's POV—
Ever since the elevator I can't help but see Joe a little differently. He's still insufferable but I don't know....maybe I can move past it, "You're literally the definition of simp," Kara says as we walk into the building where we are supposed to meet the guys. I'm thankful the guys like her cause she's the only reason I arrive on time or at all.

"He's literally my boyfriend," I say mocking her voice.

"I don't sound like that," she says as Kevin walks over.

"That was a good Kara impression," he says making her throw her hands up in defeat.

"You ready to officially declare we are a couple," Joe asks as Kevin and I walk into the small rooms he's sitting in.

"How are we doing this? I figured we would just be posting it on Instagram," I tell him.

"That's so lame. We have to go big or go home. This is my career we are talking about," he says as Kevin looks at him unimpressed.

"I mean it can't be as big as your ego so I'm in," I tell him as he gives me the same look Kara gave me a second ago, "What is this building anyway?" I ask.

"Come on," he says opening the door for me. I side-eye Kevin as he gives me an upside-down smile. I follow Joe along the building until we go out a back door.

"Shut the fuck up," I whisper as we walk into a gated area. Ten little puppies are running around playing with toys. When they see Joe the litter runs over to him making my heart explode.

"These little guys need a new mom," he says picking up a small black and white one. He walks over to me and smiles as I reach out to pet him.

"This is the cutest thing I've ever seen. Where did they come from? How do I adopt all of them? And how is this helping us become an it couple?" I ask.

"My label sent Nick this email about a puppy adoption day. I figured we could be seen walking out of here with a new puppy of our own," he says as I nod my head completely distracted by the cute furry faces in front of me.

"This is going to be impossible to choose from," I whisper walking around as Joe sets down the little guy that was in his arms. Nick and Kara walk out of the door we came from and she immediately freaks out.

"Where are the rest of them going?" I ask sitting down to play with a lab.

"That's the point. When people see me...us buying a puppy they will want to buy a puppy from the same place," he says as I roll my eyes. I know he's right but I wish it didn't sound so egotistical.

"This should be a calendar," Kevin says walking over with a pug in his arms, "Do you think Daniella would hate me?" He asks refusing to put the pug down.

"Who can hate these cute faces?" Kara says as a bunch of puppies ambush her. Her laughter spreads around the group as everyone slowly becomes attached to them all.

"I can't choose. You choose," I tell Joe as he looks around, "we better be getting joint custody," I state as he repeats he's paying for the dog.

After another twenty minutes of us hanging out with them, Joe decides on a tiny husky mix. A worker comes over and takes the dog away to get him ready for adoption, "I've always wanted a husky," I say giggling in excitement.

"Why didn't you just pick the husky then?" Joe asks as we start walking to the front.

"Cause then the other puppies would be sad. Now you're the bad guy in their eyes," I tell him.

"I really don't think that's how it works," he says.

"You didn't see the way the other dogs looked at you," I tell him as he stops at the front counter.

"I think there's something wrong with you. Have you ever gotten checked out?" He asks.

"Of course. The only way it makes sense for people to not agree with you is a mental deficiency," I say nodding my head.

"See now you get it," he says.

"Do you mind if I get an autograph?" The woman behind the desk asks as she hands over the paperwork for the puppy. He smiles and says of course with a big smile, "Was it true you guys got stuck in an elevator?" She asks as he hands her the autograph.

"Yeah, but thankfully he was there to protect me," I say playing with his hand. It's frustrating how every time we are out together there are women lined up making eyes at him. Like where are the men lining up to date me? It takes another half an hour before we get to take the little guy home. I want to go straight home to cuddle the little monster but Joe stops me for pictures. I pick up our new dog and hold him in my hands as we post in front of the sign.

"I think I can die happy now," I smile as he sits in my lap. Joe looks at the dog and seems jealous he's sitting with me.

"What should we name him?" Nick asks as Kevin gets into the car with the pug.

"I couldn't not get him," he says petting his head. Kara takes a picture of the new dog dad as he smiles, the pug is licking his chin.

"What about Charlie?" Joe says.

"Charlie?" I ask as the dog turns his head to look at me, "Charlie," I smile as the two dogs start sniffing each other.

"How did the pictures turn out?" Nick asks as Joe pulls his phone out. He starts laughing as he turns the phone around for us to see. It's a really good picture of Joe, Charlie, and me, while Kevin and his pug are cuddling in the back.

"That's bound to go viral," Kara says.

"Perfect," I smile as Charlie crawls across our laps to Joe. I guess puppies are a good way to keep up civil.