Chapter 39: Lawyer

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

—Eva's POV—

There's a knock at the door making me spring up in my bed. Joe cracks the door open and tells me the lawyer called, "Is there a way out?" I ask. The look on Joe's face answers my question making me spring out of bed. I run at him and he catches me spinning me around as I wrap my legs around his waist.

"He said we can pay our way out and with the evidence of her extorting you we could easily knock the price down from $30,000 to somewhere closer to ten," he says as I pull my head away to look at him.

"I'm helping you pay for that. This is kind of my fault and I'd feel bad if you had to pay it all. It might take me a while to get a decent amount but I will," I tell him as I play with the curls on the back of his neck.

He shakes his head as he walks us to the bed and drops me down on my back, "Not gonna happen. We have been trying to find a new manager for a little bit and the three of us can surely come up with the money," he says putting his arms on either side of my head and leaning over me.

He hates the look on my face and rolls off me to lie beside me. I move to straddle his waist and he widens his eyes, "I started looking for a place to live...I don't want to be a burden anymore and now that I don't have to pay Logan anymore I won't be dying for cash," I tell him.

"You can just stay here. I have plenty of room and your stuff is already here," he points out.

He sees the hesitant look in my eyes, "What are we doing Joe?" I ask trying to get this out in the open.

I watch his eyes move to where our bodies connect, "Currently you're sitting in my lap," he says with a laugh. I smack his chest telling him to be serious as he rests his hands on my thighs, "I like being around you. I don't want this to end just because our contract is up," he tells me. A weight is physically being lifted off my shoulders from one simple statement.

"I don't either. I like the little dysfunctional thing we have," I smile.

"So it's decided. You're staying here and we are the same old us we have been," he says as I look at him hoping he'd say we were more, "Life always evens itself out. There were too many bad things happening back to back it was bound to get good again," he says as I lift his hand. I look at the small cut that's still on his knuckles and he just watches me.

"I can't believe you punched him," I whisper in disbelief with a small smile, "A guy has never protected my honor before".

"You make me sound so chivalrous. He deserved it and you deserve so much better than everything that's happening right now," he tells me as I stand up from his lap. He looks at me with his hand propped under his head.

I throw on a sweatshirt and check the time before asking, "Do you want to get some pizza?"

He sits up and immediately starts walking to put his shoes on. I skip after him with a bright smile and an extra pep in my step. He grabs a scarf from the closet and throws it at me telling me I'll be cold. I grab a beanie from the closet and pull it over his head. I pull out a few strands of his hair and debate on pulling him to my bedroom instead of getting pizza, "You know those leather pants you wear on your tour?" I ask him as we start heading to his car. He looks at me with a straight face as I just smile and get into the car.

"Is this your way of telling me to wear them more often?" He asks. I tilt my head with an upside-down smile before he gets the point. He starts the car and laughs while pulling out of his driveway. I think every woman should have a man who would drive her to get pizza at almost ten o'clock at night. It should be a requirement for all women before they get with a guy.

"I'll run in and order. What do you want?" He asks before laughing and telling me he will be right back. It's a joke we have that he asks what kind of pizza I want but he knows my order by heart now. The only other person who knows my order is Kara for sandwiches from our favorite hoagie shop.

When he gets back in the car the smell alone could have me foaming at the mouth, "If you don't step on it, I'm going to make love to this pizza," I tell him as he grimaces at the imagery.

"Never EVER say that again," he says as we both laugh. However, it worked he did step on it. A win is a win.