Chapter 17: contracts

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

—Eva's POV—

"Morning," I smile walking into work. Mr. Hues looks stressed out meaning today is going to be a lot longer than I thought. I knock on the door to his office and he tells me to come in, "What's wrong?" I ask.

"Joe's management are pushing to change the contact," he says as I widen my eyes.

"Why? What's changed?" I ask standing at his desk.

He sighs and slides over a new arrangement, "they think you aren't doing enough and are asking to lower your pay," he says.

"For fucks sake. What haven't I done? Oh no I missed one story. This is ridiculous," I tell him, "We need this money," I tell him.

"I know. That's why I was hoping you would talk to Joe. They made it seem like this was his idea," he says making me furrow my eyebrows.

How is that possible? Was it the almost kiss? He's not that big of an asshole, "I'll talk to him," I tell him. He nods his head and tells me I better work my magic or we will be screwed for the end of the year. I walk out of his office and see Stella with a nervous look.

"How did it go?" He asks.

"My boyfriend's being a dick right now," I tell her as she hands me my coat. I thank her and rush out to call a cab. I manage to hail one after a couple of minutes. There are dark clouds over the sky right now. Everyone's trying to get home. I tell them the address of Joe's place and sit back trying not to stew in my anger. How could he? Even after the event we just went to I thought he would understand how important this is. It takes nearly thirty minutes to get to his place. I tip the driver and rush to the front door slamming my fist on the wood. Nick swings the door open and stares at me like I've gone nuts.

"How could he? I didn't think he'd stoop this low," I tell him pushing past to see where Joe is.

"What the hell are you talking about?" Nick asks trying to catch up with me. I see Kevin and Joe sitting on the couch watching the football game and throw a pillow at him.

"What the hell was that for?" Joe asks rubbing his arm. I go to hit him again when Nick grab the pillow.

"What did you do?" Nick asks making him widen his eyes even more confused.

"I have no idea. What's going on?" He asks.

"Your fucking management sent over a new contract agreement for me to get paid less. Apparently you made it seem like I wasn't doing enough," I tell him and he moves his head back, "You know how important that money is. It's not for me it's for the kids," I tell him.

"I have no idea what you're talking about. I haven't talked to my manager in a couple of days and that definitely didn't come up," he says as I narrow my eyes at him. He takes his phone from his pocket and puts his phone to his ear. He leaves the room leaving me with his brothers.

"This doesn't sound like something Joe would do," Kevin says as we all wait in anticipation. I look around the room and realize his livingroom looks almost identical to Nicks.

"What's with?" I ask before Nick just rolls his eyes.

"He thought it would be funny," he says sitting on the couch. It's almost half an hour later when Joe walks back into the room. The three of us look at him expectantly as he paces in front of us.

"They think I'm putting in all the effort and sent the contract over without telling me. They figured you wouldn't come barging into my house accusing me of being an ass," he says as I close my eyes and drop my head, "I told them to retract the new deal. Just because you're insufferable doesn't mean you aren't putting in equal work," he says making the guys laugh.

"I hate your manager," I tell him with a glare, "But thanks for not going through with it," I smile.

"Well since you're here we might as well post," he says. I nod my head and get off the couch and jump on his back. He almost falls since I didn't warn him. I take my phone and take a picture of me smiling and Joe's eyes. I @ his account and then post it.

"You guys are truly the essence of romance," Kevin says as I jump down.

"Not everyone can be married and in love," Joe bites back, "What about you Nicky? How's Kara?" He teases making the younger brother go red.

"Shut up. I'm not the one who had a cute little wine night," he says making us both freeze a little at the mention of that night. We haven't really talked since then. I totally forgot about it until now.

"I think I should go," I tell them grabbing my purse off the floor. Kevin and Nick both tell me not to leave and I just look at Joe.

"Kara is already on her way. I figured you were staying," Nick says. Joe just nods his head and I give him a small smile as I sit back down. I guess a good old fashioned watch party is fun.