Chapter 32: Money

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

—Eva's POV—

I rush into the house with my bags and see everyone sitting in the living room, "Sorry I'm late," I shout as I rush to my room and drop all of my things. I close my eyes and shove the cash under my bed. I withdrew an extra couple hundred cause Logan keeps calling me. I quickly stand up when Joe walks into the room.

He looks at me concerned as I kick my shoes off in a frenzy, "Where did you go this morning?" he asks as I walk closer to grab comfier clothes. Logan called this morning and wanted three hundred dollars. I had to pull from my apartment funds to afford it. I knew I would be back late so I put on nice clothes so they all thought I was Christmas shopping.

I show off the bags before throwing my shirt on the floor to change into a sweatshirt, "I had some extra shopping to do and I didn't think it would take that long," I tell him as I walk over to the door. He puts his hand out and stops me from walking out.

"Are you okay?" he asks as I give him a small smile. I give him a small kiss before assuring him I'm fine. I leave him in my bedroom and walk out seeing Kara holding a glass of wine and standing in front of the guys.

"Please tell them that MTV's The Challenge is one of the best shows ever made," She says as I throw my head back laughing.

"I wasn't a believer either until we watched two seasons in a week," I tell the guys as Nick hands me a glass. I thank him as he shakes his head saying reality TV is the worst. When Joe comes out he has a straight face. He goes back to his spot on the couch and tells Kara to continue telling him about the show.

"We should watch it. There's nothing else to do," She says as Kevin gets up to grab another bottle of wine. She giddily takes the remote off the table and turns the TV on. I groan as she hops onto the couch smacking me in the stomach. I push her off and we both laugh as Nick throws us a blanket.

"All I'm saying is CT could get it any day of the week," I whisper making her laugh as she agrees. I love these kinds of days. Maybe not the way it started but I love comfy days in. It's supposed to snow later but everyone thinks it's just going to rain.

"Do we have any snacks?" I ask looking at Joe. He doesn't answer making us all look at him as he stares ahead. Nick nudges his side making him turn his head, "Earth to Joseph? Do we have snacks?" I ask with a small laugh.

"Yeah, I went shopping earlier today," he says. I hop off the couch and run to the kitchen to grab whatever he bought. There are two bags of chips and popcorn. I grab all three and walk back out hearing everyone laugh.

"I'm so excited," I giggle before I see Kara and Nick are now under a blanket instead of me being with Kara. I point it out and raise my eyebrow, "This is just rude," I say shaking my head. Joe opens up his blanket and I happily climb next to him. His hand snakes around my waist as Kara sets everything up.

"The one day we all decide to stay in and watch a movie Danielle has to work," Kevin says sinking into his spot on the couch. The four of us look at him with an awkward smile before Kara hits play.

-

We finished around five episodes worth of the show. The weather has gotten pretty bad so before it got worse everyone decided to head out. I take the empty bottles into the kitchen as Joe grabs the chip bags. We are so tired none of us are saying anything. When I grab the wine glasses to put them into the sink I see him leaning on the counter with his arms crossed over his chest, "Why do you have cash hidden under your bed?" he asks making me freeze. I slowly turn around and see him in the same position staring at the floor.

"Why are you going under my bed?" I ask getting defensive.

"You've been suspicious for weeks and I've been trying to ignore it. You've been leaving dates and even this morning. I know you weren't shopping. Half those bags were empty and the ones that weren't had random shit from your car in them," he says.

I hesitate on what to say. There's nothing I can say that won't drag me down further in my lies, "I owe some money and I didn't want to drag you into it. It's easier if you pretend nothing is happening," I tell him trying to give as little detail as possible.

"What are you being hunted by the mob? What are you talking about? How long has this been going on? How much money have you given?" He asks as I lean against the counter with my eyes squeezed shut.

"It's my money...I haven't taken anything from you," I tell him as he moves closer.

He looks at me confused as he stops me from walking away, "I know you didn't take money from me I wasn't worried about that. I'm worried about you giving money to sketchy people for god knows what reason," he says.

"I can't tell you. It's not worth the worry," I tell him trying to convince him I'm fine.

"I'll tell Kara if you don't tell me 'cause I'm not letting you deal with this alone," he says as I drop my jaw.

"It's none of her business. I'm an adult and I don't need you prying in my personal life," I state going to walk away.

He walks in the way of the door and puts his arm out, "Stop. I'll help you if you need money but I can't help if you don't tell me what's going on," he says.

I drop my head and take a deep breath knowing there is no way around this. He knows too much and I don't want Kara to know I gave in to someone like Logan.

"I'm doing this for us," I explain, "Logan...he had pictures of me and he threatened to release them to the press. I don't want this to ruin your career," I admit embarrassed.

There's silence between us making my heart beat out of my chest. When I look up at his face there's something in his eyes that I've never seen before, "I didn't want you to worry. It's fine. I just have to give him ten thousand dollars by February," I ramble as he looks at me like I'm crazy.

"Why didn't you tell me? I could have helped. We could have gone to the label and figured out a deal," he says softening his tone when he sees my panic. I'm surprised when he wraps his arms around me. My shoulders drop as he rubs my back, "It's going to be okay," he whispers.