Chapter 24: cooking

Vote. Comment. Enjoy!

-

-

-

—Eva's POV—

"How's it living with Nicholas?" I ask as I prop my phone on my nightstand. She gives me a look and there's a very obvious hickey on her neck. They are like rabbits. She just starts laughing when she sees me roll my eyes. I grab the box cutter off the bed and slide it down the box so I can crush it down.

"How's it with Joseph?" She asks as I come back into view on the screen, "I was trying to picture what you two would be like. I'm stuck between arguing every two seconds or just having endless amounts of..." she says as I quickly hang up when Joe walks in. He leans on the doorway smiling knowing what she was going to say.

"What's up?" I ask finally finishing unpacking my clothes of anything I need for my day to day life.

"I'm making dinner. I didn't know if you had plans or something," he says as I shake my head.

"Dinner sounds good. Do you want help?" I ask. I quickly put my hair up and grab my phone off the dresser. I follow him to the kitchen where he has a recipe placed, "Oooh this sounds so good," I tell him leaning over the counter.

"It's my mom's recipe. She forces each of us to learn how to cook when we were young so we didn't embarrass our Italian ancestors," he says making me laugh.

"I'm not the best cook but I will certainly try," I tell him as I start washing my hands. He pulls all the ingredients out of the cabinets and it's hard not to feel ashamed of my thoughts. I would have assumed he had cooks who did everything. Maybe I assumed too quickly about who the Jonas Brothers actually were all those years ago. Especially Joe. I start measuring out half of the ingredients while he does the other half.

"What's your favorite thing to cook?" I ask as I walk to the microwave to soften the butter. He scrunches eyebrows together as he thinks about it.

"Probably this one. Or my mom has a killer eggplant parm recipe," he says opening the bag of flour. The microwave beeps and I open it seeing it's still pretty solid. I hear him call my name and turn seeing white powder being thrown at me. I close my eyes and feel it coat my face making me cough.

"No, you didn't," I whisper wiping my eyes. He starts dying with laughter when I open my eyes. His laughter turns to fear when I run over grabbing the bag. He runs out of the kitchen as I hold the bag and chase after him. He stands on his couch as I stand across the coffee table, "This," I say motioning to my face, "Is not part of the recipe," I yell with a crazy smile on my face.

"Why don't we just put the flour down and forget this ever happened?" He offers as if I don't look like the Pillsbury Dough Boy. I run around the table and he jumps the couch running down the hallway. I do the same and pretend to hurt my ankle. I curse and fall to the ground holding my leg. He runs back over and I slowly take the flour out that's sitting in my lap and throw it at his face.

"THAT IS NOT FAIR," he says as he slips
on the floor, falling on his ass.

"All is fair in love and war," I tell him as he tries to get the flour off him, "You look kinda good this way," I tease cleaning up his hair. I pull away and stand up putting my hand out to help him up. The house has flour all over it from the bag I was carrying.

"Let's finish dinner and then we can clean," he says steering me into the kitchen my shoulders. I go to the sink and dampen a paper towel to clean our faces. He takes it from my hand and I jump on the counter as he brushes it over my face. The tension slowly builds as none of us say anything. The only thing I can hear is the heartbeat in my chest.

"Thanks," I whisper as get off the counter. I can feel his eyes still on me as I walk to the microwave to grab the butter. I feel like living here won't be as relaxing as I thought it would be. What are we now? I know we are fake dating but now we had sex and everything is complicated. I'd be lying if I said I didn't want it to happen again. But for now I'm just going to cook and forget about all of that. Apparently Joe has other plans as I turn around and see him standing right behind me.

"You have some left in your hair," he says reaching up to get it. I watch his hand slowly fall down the side of my face before I look into his eyes. Something about the way he's looking at me makes me lean in. Then we are kissing and it's one of the best kisses I've ever had. The kind you never want to end. His hands are lifting me onto the counter as I grab at his shirt. His body presses into my legs as I wrap them around him, "Bedroom," I whisper as he smirks into the kiss.

I hate that Kara is right.