Chapter 40

"I think my aunt would have a few choice words for you if I were to call her and tell her what you just said to me."

Adrian laughed, "and just who is your aunt Little Dhampir?"

Now he looked green and ill as his eyes went wide.

"Wait, you are my cousin?! Like real blood cousin? Not in the way that the royals all over the world overuse that word."

"Why don't you call her and find out the answer to that question for yourself?" I replied with a smug smirk of my own.

Without missing a beat, he quickly took his phone out of his back pocket and began dialing with a shaking hand. All the while mumbling, "I think I'm going to be sick. I think I'm going to be sick. I think I'm going to be sick." Over and over and over again.

Tamera had slipped around behind Adrian, while he wasn't paying attention, and closed then bolted the doors locked. She knew just as well as most of the rest of us in this room did. That it may very well come down to compelling Adrian to forget about ever being here, for this to come to a non-violent outcome.

Lissa nor I ever used our powers of compulsion unless we had little to no other choice in the matter. Neither of us liked taking someone else's free will away from them. Unlike far too many moroi, mainly royals, we didn't relish in having and taking power or control over someone else and their minds that way.

As I was saying, at least for his sake, I hoped that it would come to a non-violent end. Otherwise, Aunt Tati might get upset, she is rather fond of Adrian. Although, for the life of me right at this moment, I just could not understand why. But from Dimitri's reaction, Adrian may not get out of this room with all his teeth intact. Which, at the moment, was just fine with me. Especially given just how he had spoken to my mother earlier.

(APOV)

Ring... Ring... Ring.

"Hello?"

"Aunt Tati, can I ask you a question?"

"Of course, Adrian. What do you need dear?"

"Is Rose Hathaway my cousin?"

"Why?" She sounded cautious and very alert all of the sudden.

"Because I am standing here looking at her and she is without a doubt the hottest..."

"Adrian, you stay the hell away from Rose, do you hear me?!!!! She is not one of your floozy's or someone for you to try playing around with!!! She is my best friends' daughter as well as my niece and goddaughter, not to mention the fact that she is a secret princess and my replacement for queen. And if you want to get out of that room in one piece, then I suggest that you leave her be. Because your actual blood cousin, who I have no doubt is standing right there with Rose, will rip you apart piece by bloody piece. If you try anything with her or irritate either of them too much."

"Who is that?"

"Rose's soul mate and boyfriend Guardian Dimitri Belikov."

"And how do I know who that is?"

"He is six foot seven inches tall; he is built like that guy Thor from those moves you like so much, with shoulder length brown hair, brown eyes and willing to kill anyone to protect Rose. And I would be willing to bet that he is not too far away from her as we speak."

I looked at the man standing right behind Rose, with his hands on her hips pulling her back against his chest protectively before wrapping his arms back around her waist. And anyone could see that he was farrr beyond pissed off, even if they couldn't see his aura like I can. Which was glowing with rage which was actually bordering on hatred and pointed directly at me.