Graduation

The end of the year was just around the corner. It was the last week of school, there weren't any real classes or homework assignments. It was mostly students' just spending time with each other before the summer break. Getting their yearbooks signed by their friends and favorite teachers.

Santana's yearbook was filled to the brim with signatures and good lucks throughout. It was to the point where people had to sign on other class picture pages. She was proud, having made such a good impact throughout her years at Honoka'a. It started out rough, as we all know through the trials and tribulations that she went through at the very beginning during freshman year.

Brittany on the other hand, spent the last week engulfed in the spirit week that was going on. Spirit weeks in Hawai'i were not comparable to those back home in Oklahoma.

"San, your yearbook." Nalani said as she handed it back to her friend. "Your shit doesn't have any space in it, damn."

Santana laughed. "Yeah I know."

"You good, cap? You don't normally be anywhere without Britt." Kalei said as she sat next to Santana on the stairs.

"Yeah, just reminiscing is all. Did you guys see the final article in the paper this past weekend? Pretty fucking bomb ah. The picture they used for me is pretty nuts."

Kalei went into her backpack to pull out the article. "I brought it in to get you guys to sign it, actually." She handed the paper to Santana along with a pen. "Go first Cap."

Santana looked down at the paper, her picture gracing the front page of the sports section. It was a pretty nuts picture of Santana throwing to second from her knees.

POY honor awarded to Dragon All-Star

It was a curveball that was seen from afar, that everyone on the Honoka'a Dragons team saw coming. But senior stand out Santana Lopez, definitely didn't see coming in a Big Island Interscholastic Federation softball season that was full of pleasant surprises.

When the season started to roll, Lopez found her groove and soon the Division II championship belonged to Honoka'a, which picked a perfect time to peak - winning two consecutive postseason games at home.

Then after the ballots were counted, Lopez, the Dragon's starting catcher wasn't holding her breath, expecting someone else to be pleasantly surprised.

In a nice jolt, she was voted West Hawaii's BIIF Player of the Year by the league's West coaches.

"I'm shocked," Lopez said. "I never thought I'd be the Player of the Year."

Additionally, Honokaa landed five players on first team. Lopez, senior short stop Nalani Long, junior left fielder Angel Viernes, senior pitcher Rachel Berry, and senior center fielder Brittany S. Pierce.

Long batted .364 with nine RBIs, Viernes .250 with five RBIs, Lopez .269 with 14 RBIs and Pierce .435 with five RBIs. Berry posted a 3-3 record with a 1.71 ERA, and batted .407 with five RBIs.

Dragon's Sue Sylvester was named the BIIF Coach of the Year in the West after guiding the Honoka'a to their first ever state tournament.

"Santana is a hard worker and dedicated and showed leadership from very early on in her career," Honoka'a coach Sue Sylvester said. "She was always positive. That's pretty much how it is with all the girls.

"I wanted to do my best and make it to the BIIF championship, and we did," Lopez said. "We wanted to go to Oahu and bring the title home. We did just that, and brought the koa trophy home. Overall, we stuck together as a family and team. We had our ups and downs, but we competed. I'll remember that we had fun, no matter what. Having fun makes everything go better."