States Pt. 1

Time had flown by, and before they knew it, they were about to leave for States. The girls spent the night in Honoka'a so that they could get ready for Oahu together. Santana was on the phone with her dad, who was giving her words of encouragement. Brittany was giving them space, knowing that it wasn't often that she got to talk to her dad. She did sometimes join in the conversation with them but tonight she knew that it was special. Santana had been sad for the past few days. She wished that her dad could've been home to see her play but she understood that he couldn't be home.

Brittany walked out into the kitchen to get a glass of water to take with her ibuprofen. Her back was bothering her a little and so the pill was just a precaution. Even though Santana was now back to 100%, Brittany was still catching. She felt like Santana was still holding back a little and she understood- because Santana didn't want to reinjure her shoulder.

Santana's mom came walking in and startled Brittany. "Oh I'm sorry Britt I didn't mean to scare you."

Lani was coming to Oahu with the team as a chaperone. She was just as excited as the girls were, and made a promise to her husband to record every game for him to watch later. The time difference was preventing him from getting to watch it live.

"It's okay aunty." Brittany said as she placed her now washed cup on the dish rack.

"Are you guys ready for tomorrow?" Lani said as she placed her sheet protector full of papers on the table. She was a very organized person, so Brittany knew that the sheet protector had all of her important documents for Oahu in it.

"We are. San is talking to her dad right now."

"I know she's sad that he can't be there. But don't let that be a reason she doesn't have fun while you guys are there."

"I won't. Oh yeah Coach Sue wanted to ask if you could drive one of the team vans. I wasn't sure if San asked you or anything."

Their conversation went on for about five more minutes until she got a call on her cell phone. Brittany returned back to Santana's room, where she found her putting the last of her uniform in her dufflebag.

"States babe. I'm so stoked." Santana's back was facing towards her.

Brittany immediately walked up behind her and put her arms around her. "It's okay baby, I know you really wanted him there."

Even though they had been together for a while now, it always surprised Santana when Brittany could read her without even seeing her face. Yeah, she was disappointed. And she missed her dad a little extra tonight. That's why when she heard Brittany walking back to the room she turned around so she couldn't see the tears falling from her eyes.

Brittany spun Santana around and gently wiped her cheeks dry. "Mom said that she'll take videos of everything so he can see it."

"I know, but it isn't the same." She moved her bag to the floor and sat down. "But he said he'll be there in spirit, and for now that'll have to be enough."

They sat in silence for a little while before they finished packing. Brittany made sure that Santana had her shoulder brace just in case, as well as her own for her back. Injuries were a pain in the ass.

Once they were finished, they laid down in bed as the tv played friends in the background. Before long, they fell asleep.

*******

The team's flight was early the next morning, so they had to get up at 5 am to make it to the airport in time. Everyone met up at the school where they got on the bus to go to the airport in Hilo. Even though everyone was tired, they were all equally excited.