Questions

As time went on, Santana started to open up more and more to Kehau. It had been so long since they had an actual conversation that she had forgotten what it was like to talk to her. Back when they were still together, Santana would be on the phone for hours and before she knew it- it was morning. The sun had risen and it was time to get ready for school. She never regretted nights like those, regardless of how tired she was that day. She always felt like they never ran out of things to talk about. And tonight wasn't any different. It was like they picked up where they left off, like their relationship hadn't skipped a beat.

"Can I ask you something?" Santana turned towards Kehau. "You know that first song you did for ensembles? Was that for me?"

"Yeah, it was. I mean, did you hear the words?" Santana reeled in her line. "I was heartbroken over that shit you did to me, Kehau. I found my escape in music."

"Music was always your escape, even before you knew it." Kehau grabbed the pole from Santana and casted the line. "I'd catch you singing while we were on Skype. You'd think I was doing my homework, but I was listening to you."

"Why'd you do it?" Santana turned all the way to Kehau now. Kehau set the pole back down in it's holder and did the same. "We had such a great time together. Unless that was just one sided?"

"No no.. You're right. We did have a great time. The best, actually. I just, I don't know San. I was a different person then. My mindset was crap, and I made a mistake. I dated that girl for maybe three months. But even when I was dating her, I'd come down here every weekend. And my friends just didn't understand. And neither did I. Maybe I was thinking that if you came down here, then I would snap out of it but you never came."

"I wasn't gonna come down here that's why. You know my connections to this place..." Santana looked out to where her line was floating in the water. She shrugged. I actually did think about coming down here this past summer before school started. But that was the same day as my mom's company party so I ended up just going with her."

They were quiet for a while. It wasn't awkward or anything, more comforting than anything. Santana didn't have any feelings for Kehau, but she had missed her. They were friends for a while before they started dating. So once they broke up, it was a huge part of Santana's life that was gone. The amount of time, and the things she had shared with Kehau was a large investment of her life. Cutting her off like that was the hardest thing she had ever done up until having to deal with her dad's deployment. She just felt like, everything was crashing down on her.

"San?" Kehau was waving her hand in front of her face. "I know you're thinking about something. Just talk to me."

"Remember when my dad got to his second duty station? Right when we started talking?" She nodded. "Well, remember how he told me I should go to West Point?"

"Don't tell me you're considering it now?"

"I think I am. There's so many emotional connections to places I have on this island. It's so hard, you know? Having to go somewhere and a memory hits. I want somewhere, that's fresh. Somewhere new."

Kehau knew that this wasn't Santana talking. "This isn't you, San. You told me yourself. You're not down for waking up early, having to do the uniform thing. Just, think about what you're saying. I know you want somewhere new, but you can just go Oahu. Or to the mainland. Joining the military is a huge difference."

"Yeah, I know. But still. I can't even bring Brittany out this side without thinking about you. It's hard for me."

There were so many times that Santana wanted to bring Brittany out to Kona but there were so many connections to Kehau there that she couldn't. But what she didn't know, was if she didn't want to take her because it reminded her of Kehau, or if it was because of Kehau. Those memories were special to her.