85

States prep was like their regular practices, but times 1000. It was long and grueling, but the girls knew that every second counted. Every throw, every hit. Everything was for state level game play which wasn't going to be easy.

Oahu softball was a league of it's own. Big Island teams had 8 games for a regular season, not including pre or post season. But Oahu had double that amount during their regular season alone. Oahu might have been smaller but it had way more schools. Meaning, their high schools would have that much more playing time together.

Santana made sure to keep the girls morale up as much as possible. There wasn't much she could do other than offer words of encouragement and try and help the girls pinpoint little errors they were making that they might have been unaware of. The sling wasn't the greatest, but she was determined to get back to at least 85%. That was the deal with Holly. Once she's there she can start taking the sling off and begin using elastic bands again to restrengthen her shoulder before starting to throw. It was going to be a process, but it's what needed to be done if she wanted to be able to take the field during states.

It was roughly two and a half weeks out from the start of the state tournament. The bell rang to release everyone at the end of the day and Santana caught up to Brittany before she headed over to the field.

"I'll be over there once my session is done okay?" Brittany gently rubbed Santana's shoulder. "It's at 80 percent babe. Honest."

Brittany nodded, and leaned in to kiss Santana. "I love you. Keep pushing okay?"

"I love you too, babe. I will. I'll see you later okay?"

And with that, Brittany joined the rest of the girls to walk over to the field while Santana walked in the other direction to Holly's office. It was a feeling that stung, and it sucked.

"Come on now, girlie. Let's get started so I can get you over to the field before they start batting practice!" Holly was standing in her doorway. "How's your mental today?"

"It's good. I'm ready. What's on the schedule today?"

Holly went into one of her storage closets, and pulled out some elastic bands. She turned, with a huge smile. "It's time. Get out of that sling."

"Really?"

"Yes. You've been sticking to the treatment plan I laid out for you. And it's paid off." She helped Santana loosen the sling. "Start with a few light stretches before we get to this band. And when I say light, I mean it."

Santana stood up and started to do some basic stretches.

"So you didn't answer my question last time before you rushed over to the field." Santana looked over at Holly. "Plans for after high school? Cause I'm fully expecting to see you on tv playing at collegiate level."

"Honestly, Holly. Can you keep a secret?"

"Yeah, of course." She was curious now.

"Well, so you know how my dad is in the Army yeah? I've been looking into West Point."

"That's the Army college yeah?"

Santana nodded. "I just figured I'd make him proud by following in his footsteps. Yeah he never go West Point, but still yet."

Holly was adjusting the bands to Santana's height now.

"Do you really want to do that though? I mean, that's a huge commitment."

"It is, and I understand that for sure." Santana started using the bands just how Holly was demonstrating for a couple days prior.

"I'm sure you dad would be proud of you no matter what you choose to do, to be completely being honest with you San."