Homecoming

"You love her?"

Brittany instantly regretted saying the words out loud. The last time that she had told her best friend that she loved someone, the relationship ended with her in the hospital. And since then she hadn't been in such a serious relationship.

"I do love her, Q. Well at least I think that this is love. Like every time I'm around her she makes me laugh and smile and I have these constant butterflies in my stomach and they won't go away. No matter how much time I spend with her. She could spend the night and when I wake up in the morning, the butterflies are back."

"I'd say that's love. But take it slow okay?"

"I am. I mean, I will. It's hard okay. She makes it very hard to not fall in love with her."

"I understand Britt. I'm happy for you though. At least moving to Hawaii wasn't a complete dud. For all we know, Santana could be the one."

"One, schmone.." They both started to laugh.

"By the way, how's your back? The last time we talked you said it went up to a 7."

Brittany was turning into her driveway now. "It's a 4. Santana massages my back with IcyHot every night. And that has helped a whole lot." She threw the car in park but didn't turn it off. "I'm probably gonna take the brace off already."

"2."

"Q it's fine I can take-"

"2." Her voice was stern now and was followed by brief silence.

"Okay. 2."

"Good. I don't know why you don't just listen to what I tell you."

"Yeah I know you're always right. Shut up. But hey I'm home now so I'll talk to you later okay? I have some things I need to finish up before Santana comes over after she gets her homecoming dress fitted."

"Oh yeah that's right! She's on the homecoming court. You better send me tons of pictures of her. I wanna see what she looks like. Love you Britt. Take care of that back for me." Brittany smiled.

"Of course I will you know me. Bye Q." And she hung up. When she walked in the house her mom was sitting at the counter eating a sandwich. "Hey mom."

"Hey honey. I thought I heard the car pull into the driveway."

"Did you enjoy your day off? You look rested." Brittany's mom worked overnight at a hotel that was about twenty minutes away from their house.

"It was great. And you look like your glowing. Had a good performance today?" Brittany nodded. "That's awesome. But there's more to it isn't there? Did Santana finally ask you out?"

She didn't answer, but her mom could read her facial expression. "She did didn't she? Finally. Took her long enough."

"Damn mom how long have you been waiting?" She started to laugh.

"I've been waiting since you first brought her over to the house to introduce her. Just from the way you were looking at her I could tell. Those curious eyes of yours. You're happy and I can tell."

And her mom was right. Brittany's mom was really supportive of her sexual orientation. When she came out to her mom her sophomore year, she was afraid that she was going to disown her. But it was the exact opposite and if anything, it brought them closer because now she didn't have to hide anything from her mom.

"She sang me a song with Rachel in front of the school and then asked me out mom. It was amazing. I hope someone took a video." Her mom stood up from the counter and took her empty plates to the sink. "Did you have a good day off?"