BIIF Championships

I'm so sorry, a year?! Man what an idiot. I have been on deployment and have recently just gotten back to the states. The last year has been, crazy to say the least. But, being in a area of New Mexico that has no service and some decent WiFi has prompted me to re-read Paradise and remember why I started writing it in the first place. So here we go! Review, Follow, Favorite.. You know the drill :)

-------

After the win against Kohala, the girls secured their slot to go to states. Honoka'a softball hadn't gotten to states in who knows how many years, so it was big around the school. For the 3 years that Rachel and Santana played softball they got close, making it to BIIFs to just not perform how they were during regular season.

And Santana gave all the credit to Brittany. She had been a pinnacle part of the team and the rest of the girls knew it too. She had come in clutch in moments that they needed her the most and they all agreed that they wouldn't have made it this far without her. But Brittany refused to take that as the reason they made it to states.

Now what was up next, was the game against Konawaena for BIIF champions.

"What do you think, mom?" Santana was painting Brittany's face for the championship game. "I think it's pretty nuts if you ask me."

Santana was being kept out of the game, which was extremely hard for her to accept. Her shoulder was not even close to being 50% so Holly had to give her the bad news. Coach Sue made the necessary changes which kept Brittany as catcher. Santana had painted Britt's face like how she always painted hers, it was a tradition she held since freshman year. A token of good luck in a way.

"It's nice baby. Britt are you nervous? I know you don't usually catch. But you did good that last game against Kohala." San's mom sat down on the couch opposite of the girls.

"I'm kinda nervous yeah. But I'm always nervous before a game so it's nothing too different."

Lani smiled. They talked for a few more minutes before she left to her room to get ready for the game as well.

The girls packed up their things and headed to the field. Now that Brittany was going to be catching the entire game, she wanted to go over a few of the little things that Santana did during the game so she could have a easier time. So they asked some of the girls to get there a little early so she could have some extra time to warm up.

"Alright babe. So, when I throw to second? I usually try and pop up first depending on how fast the runner is." Santana squatted in the catching position, and popped up. "Just like that. But if I have to, I'll throw from my knees. Which is more effort."

Brittany had never formally been a catcher, just filled in while their normal catcher in Oklahoma was up for batting practice. It was basically a brain dump of everything Santana knew and Brittany just tried to keep up. It was the BIIF championship game, against Konawaena of all teams and all she wanted was to make sure she didn't let the team down.

The girls went over throwing to second, what spot she should hit, and every possible scenario they could think of. She felt ready.

Slowly the stands started to fill and the teams started to show up. Konawaena sported a new jersey, for who knows what reason. 

Santana had her arm in a sling, and was shagging wiffle balls while the girls were hitting. She felt sort of empty, knowing that it was one of the most important games of her high school career and she wasn't playing. She looked over at Brittany, who was warming up with Rachel. She looked like a natural. Which didn't surprise her at all, she was good at whatever she set her mind to.

----------

It was the bottom of the 7th inning now. The air was intense, the game was up and up the entire time. When Honoka'a would score, so would Konawaena. The score was now 4-3 in Konawaena's favor and no one was sitting down in the dugout. Brittany was up to bat, with Rachel sitting in a nice position at 2nd base. The count was 3-1, and it was safe to say that Kehau was not having a good game.