Chapter 1

14 years later

Lucas's pov

School, we hate it so much. By we, I mean me and my sister, Laureline. We go to a crappy school in Idaho called Triton High. We get bullied by other students and some of the teachers. But that doesn't matter 'cause the big issue is waking up before David and Simone wake up, they're our useless foster parents. That's what they are legally but in reality they're just abusive crackhead with no past and an even worse future.
I go to wake Laureline up, after trying for 10 minutes, she finally wakes up after I yank her off the bed, I laugh and she rolls her eyes. Laureline is also my best friend, there's nothing I wouldn't do for her.

Ever since our foster parents took us in they've been abusive to the both of us and trying to sell my sister to older men. I try to keep her away from all that but one day I was out running errands for David and she was left alone cooking at the house and they r*ped her. When I got back she was crying on the floor battered and bruised. Even after this she still smile because she says she has me. He makes me do his dirty work like selling and buying his drugs and threatens me with Laureline or I get the beating of a life time.

What are you thinking about? Laureline asked looking at me with a smile, she knows it makes me feel better. A lot, I say to her but she doesn't push any further. We run out of the house not bothering to eat because we know nothing good comes out of Simone finding a missing slice of bread.

I was sleeping during the third period, math when Laureline woke me up and said we're being called to the principal's office. We looked at each other wondering what we did wrong. When we get to the office, I greet the principal, Ronnie he said we shouldn't call him by his first name but we don't listen. Laureline sits with her legs crisscrossed on Ronnie's table and smiles.
I sit on the chair opposite Ronnie and give him a blank look. The only person who sees me smile and laugh is Laureline.
I raise an eyebrow and he starts speaking he gives a long sympathy speech and he says that our foster parents are dead. There's a dense silence as we process what has been said. Ronnie says he'll come back with water. Laureline looks at me with the brightest smile and tears in her big blue-green eyes. It's over, it's finally over, she said. Relief washed over me because I knew that we wouldn't have to live in torture anymore.
Ronnie came back with the water and a social worker and said that our biological parents would like to take us back in. They abandoned us and we didn't want to be with them but we knew that if we didn't we'd be put into foster care again so after looking at Laureline who was thinking the same thing we agreed and left for the airport because they lived in New York.

I'll wait for you guys outside said the social worker, whose name I don't care about.
Grab all your stuff, I'll go take the money in David's room. I tell Laureline.
After taking the secret stash of cash under the bed for incase something goes wrong when we're in New York.
I give Laureline the money and pack my bag not forgetting to take David's gun too. We didn't have much clothes just a bunch of sweaters, jeans, sweatpants because he didn't want people to see the bruises but that was our style so we never felt left out seeing people wearing short or revealing clothes, 2 pairs of shoes each and necessities. We fit our clothes in one duffel bag and after giving the house our middle fingers we left for the airport. When we got to the airport we were escorted to a private part of the airport. There was a private jet waiting for us and the interior looked just as good as it did on the outside.

The flight from the airport in Idaho to NYC was going to be 6 to 7 hours so we decided to sleep

The flight from the airport in Idaho to NYC was going to be 6 to 7 hours so we decided to sleep. When we woke up, we saw that we were at the airport in New York, we saw people wearing black. Laureline grabbed my hand and we walked out and it was like staring back at a mirror, well... 9 mirrors to be exact.