Chapter XVII

⚠️❗Content Warning: This chapter contains graphic violence that may be disturbing to some readers. Reader discretion is advised.❗⚠️

Y/N's POV.

"Get up, Y/N! You can't die here!" Makomo's voice whispered from somewhere nearby.

He struggled to stand, maybe he had made a mistake by challenging this demon.

For a moment he wished he hadn't left Kanae and Rengoku behind. They could have formed a team, but now he was isolated and outmatched.

"I...I can't."

A stern voice rang in his ears. "Don't give up, Y/N. You wanted to be in the Final Selection so badly. Man up, get into position, and cut this thing's head off." It was ...Sabito.

But just as the demon closed in for the kill, a figure materialized before him. It was Makomo.

"Please Y/N you can't afford to die here." She implored him.

"Stand strong, Y/N. Remember what you've learned," Sabito's voice added appearing behind him, and Y/N felt as though both of them had grabbed his arms, helping him raise his sword.

With blood trickling down from his head, Y/N closed his eyes and focused.

He knew he had to end this fight with one decisive strike.

"Control your emotions, Y/N," Makomo advised, her voice soothing and encouraging.

"Stay alert and don't let it catch you off guard," Sabito warned.

Together, they stood behind him, offering their support even in death as Y/N prepared a final attack on the demon.

As he cautiously approached the demon. He knew he didn't have the energy to execute his Breathing Techniques right away, he would save them when he had a clear opening, so he decided to rely on his instincts and training.

With the demon's blindingly fast punch closing in Sabito's warning moved Y/N into action. "Y/N! Dodge!"

He ducked at the last possible moment, narrowly avoiding the deadly blow. A fraction of a second and he would have ended like Sabito.

The demon, relentless in its assault, launched a series of lightning-quick punches at Y/N.

As one came swinging towards him, Y/N made a split-second decision. Instead of dodging, he brought his sword into play.

With precision, he slashed at the demon's extended arm, severing it before it could make contact.

Now rushing toward the demon, Y/N displayed remarkable agility. He moved swiftly, but his actions didn't involve any breathing techniques just yet.

"Damn you... Just stay still and die!" The demon shouted frustrated.

His energy was too low for that.

The next punch was unlike any Y/N had encountered before.

It came at him with incredible speed, making dodging impossible.

In a desperate move, Y/N stomped on the demon's arm like he had done killing his first demon, utilizing the "Thunder Breathing: Old Man's Counter Stomp."The demon's arm was crushed and broken underfoot.

With momentum, Y/N leaped onto the maimed arm and propelled himself towards the demon. All of its remaining arms were thrusting at him in a fit of rage. "DAMN YOU LITTLE FOX!"

Knowing he couldn't dodge mid-air, Y/N performed a front flip in mid-air. "Water Breathing Second Form: Water Wheel."

His sword released a circular vertical slash that neatly sliced through all the flailing limbs.

As Y/N descended, he prepared to finish this now he had a clear chance.

Y/N used his forms and unleashed the combined technique he had been practicing all these months.

"First Form: Thunderclap Water Slash." The attack combined the essence of both Water and Thunder Breathings' first forms.