Chapter LXXVIII

Tanjiro's POV.

Tanjiro's affinity for children was something deeply ingrained in his heart, a part of him as essential as breathing. His life had been blessed with the laughter and warmth of siblings, each day a new adventure, each moment a treasure.

Losing most of his family had been a wound he wasn't sure could ever heal even with his best attempts to be kind and warm as his mother and father told him to be yet his love for Nezuko and the memories of his brothers and sisters kept the light of that love burning bright.

So when Tanjiro stumbled upon a scene he was too familiar with, it was no surprise that he was drawn to it, his feet carrying him close enough to witness yet another moment within the walls of the Butterfly Estate.

Through the slightly opened door, he observed a moment so tender and unexpected it seemed to belong to another world.

Sanemi-san, the Hashira whose scars spoke of countless battles, whose eyes often flared with an intensity that could ignite the air itself, showed a side Tanjiro never imagined existed.

The man who had stood fiercely against him and Nezuko, whose every word seemed spoken with contempt and anger, was now in the middle of the rehabilitation room, transformed by the presence of a little girl.

Shizu with her pretty pink kimono and hakama pants was in an energetic and defiant mode. "Sanemi-ojisan! You boring!" she proclaimed, her little arms crossed in a display of frustration that could only be met with affection.

Watching Sanemi interact with Shizu, Tanjiro felt an overwhelming mix of emotions. Joy, for the happiness evident in their play; sadness, for the reminders of his lost siblings; love, for the bond that thrived in even the most unexpected places; and amusement, for the moment unfolding before him.

"Stop running, Shizu. You're going to fall," Sanemi cautioned, his voice concerned that seemed at odds with the harshness Tanjiro had come to associate with him.

Tanjiro had realized the obvious the scarred Hashira, was Y/N-san's brother. This knowledge cast a new light on everything Tanjiro had observed about Sanemi's demeanor, rage, and animosity. It wasn't just the plight of a Hashira against demons; it was personal, deep-seated anguish born of family ties and the pain of loss.

Shizu was his niece. The thought resonated with Tanjiro; he would look past their first meeting since the man hadn't hurt Nezuko.

Tanjiro watched as Sanemi, with a patience Tanjiro hadn't thought possible, continued to engage with Shizu, his actions softening under the girl's relentless energy.

Tanjiro's attempt to step away quietly was abruptly interrupted as he collided with a towering figure, a sudden encounter that brought him face to face with a familiar presence from his past. The scarred face, the intense, bloodshot eyes, and an unmistakable scowl—it was Genya, a fellow slayer he remembered from the final selection.

"Why are you spying on my brother?" Genya's voice was cold with a suspicion that made Tanjiro's heart race.

Brother? Genya was Sanemi's brother....

Caught off guard, Tanjiro fumbled for words, his usual eloquence escaping him. "I...this...well... um.." He sighed. "I'm sorry. I heard Shizu-chan laughing and just wanted to say hello."

Genya's scowl eased slightly, his stance relaxing as he acknowledged Tanjiro's explanation. "Yeah, well, don't eavesdrop. You're lucky it was me who caught you. The girls, Shinobu-san, would have given you quite the scolding."

Before Tanjiro could process the relief of being spared a lecture, he felt a sharp slap on his face. Stunned, he looked up at Genya, his expression a mix of confusion and hurt. "G—Genya-san! What was that for?"