Chapter LXXXVI

Got so hyped writing this chapter after rereading my previous ones I finished it in just a couple of hours, caffeine is strong bruh.

.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

,

Tanjiro's eyes opened, the room slowly coming into focus. After such a long time, the shock of consciousness disoriented him, but the sight of Kanao dropping a vase in surprise anchored him back to reality.

"Tanjiro-san, you're awake! Are you okay?" She rushed to his side, her hands reaching out to gently grasp his.

Tanjiro managed a weak smile, his voice hoarse. "Kanao-san, I... What happened?"

"You've been unconscious for two months," Kanao explained, her smile widening with joy. "We were so worried. I'm just so glad you're finally awake."

Just then, Goto burst into the room holding a castella. "I brought some castella for—" He stopped mid-sentence, eyes wide at the sight of Tanjiro sitting up. "Tanjiro-san, you're awake!"

Tanjiro nodded, managing a small, "Thank you," which seemed to shock the kakushi even further.

Goto turned towards Kanao, his voice a mix of excitement and mild reprimand. "You should've told someone Tanjiro-san was awake!" He then proceeded to yell the news down the hallway, "Kiyo-san, Naho-san, Sumi-san, come quickly!"

The trio rushed in, their faces brightening the room further with cheer and tears of joy. "Tanjiro-san, you're finally awake!" they cried in unison, surrounding his bed.

Aoi joined the group, her expression serious yet softened with gratitude. "Tanjiro-san, it was about time, you had us worried." She sniffed back some tears.

Kanao still by his side took his hand in hers. "We'll take care of you, Tanjiro-san. You just focus on getting better."

Aoi cleared her throat dramatically. "And why are you two holding hands?" she asked, a cheeky grin spreading across her face.

Both Kanao and Tanjiro, caught in the act immediately let go of each other's hands, their faces turning red. "I'm sorry!" they exclaimed in unison, avoiding each other's gaze.

Goto murmured under his breath, "Should have let them be, Aoi-san."

"Nonsense. We're all glad you're awake, Tanjiro-san, but don't go trying to court my sister before it's time,"

Kanao blushed. "Aoi... please."

Aoi simply laughed, "Just joking.".

"And Zenitsu and Inosuke?"

Aoi became more serious, "Those two left for missions a few days ago. They were mostly fine... But you, though..."

Kanao added softly, "We're happy you're awake. Shinobu-nee-san will be so happy."

Tanjiro's heart skipped a beat, "Kanae-san! When we fought together, she passed out and—" He couldn't finish the sentence, the fear of the worst possibility constricting his throat.

The room fell into silence, with everyone avoiding his gaze. The knot in Tanjiro's stomach tightened.

"Kanae-neesan is alive, but..."