Chapter LV

Y/N's POV

They made their way towards the town, Y/N carrying Inosuke with a mix of care and slight discomfort. As they entered the quiet streets, Y/N paused for a moment, taking in the familiar surroundings. It had been years since he last visited this place.

As they passed through the town, where some people were still active, Y/N suddenly staggered, almost dropping Inosuke. He began coughing violently, the sounds harsh and desperate as if he were struggling to breathe.

Quickly reacting, Iguro grabbed Inosuke from Y/N's faltering grip and placed the boy on the ground. He then turned his attention to Y/N, who was bent over, clutching his chest due to coughing fits.

"Shinazugawa,"

Between coughs, Y/N managed to gasp out, "Wisteria incense... in the town..."

Iguro understood immediately but pointed out the situation. "We can't just turn it off; it keeps the demons away."

Y/N nodded, struggling to regain his footing. "I'll manage," he said between coughs. "We need to get to the dojo at the end of the town."

Standing at the entrance of the dojo, Y/N took a deep breath, preparing himself for the encounter. Unfortunately, the wisteria incense was much stronger here, and he immediately began to feel its suffocating effects.

Struggling to breathe, he resorted to using Total Concentration Breathing to minimize his intake of air.

.

As they knocked on the door of the dojo, it swung open, revealing a figure from Y/N's past – his first mentor, the former Hashira, Kuwajima Jigoro.

After six long years, both of them were shocked. Jigoro looked like he might pass out at the sight of Y/N, who had grown from a 12-year-old boy to an 18-year-old young man.

Despite the presence of Iguro and his struggle against the incense, Y/N couldn't hide the mix of emotions that surged within him.

His voice, strained both by the effects of the incense and the emotional moment, almost cracked. "Hey, Old man... been a while," he said, trying to infuse his words with as much warmth and respect as possible.

Jigoro's expression was a mix of surprise, disbelief, and slow recognition.

.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

.

Inside the dojo, Iguro had tossed the still unconscious Inosuke on a spare futon.

Iguro then turned to Y/N. "I'll patrol the town, make sure there are no demons around," he stated, ready to leave.

"Thank you, Obanai-san,"

With Iguro's departure, Y/N was left alone with Jigoro.

Before Y/N could say anything, Jigoro's hand struck him hard across the jaw. Slightly dazed but understanding Y/N said, "I... wrote to you, Jigoro-san."

"The last letter I received was years ago!"

Confusion crossed Y/N's face. Hadn't he sent more letters? Or had they never been delivered? Perhaps his messages had never reached Jigoro.

"You disappeared that night! You stole my sword, left in the middle of a storm, and never sent more than one letter! You never once visited!"

Y/N stood silently, his head bowed in shame as Jigoro continued. "You were spiteful, hateful, a stupid boy with no drive or will to improve. You couldn't even breathe properly. You made those months tough for me, Y/N. You stole when you could have just asked me for money. You hit other students out of spite, and you beat others for no reason..."