Chapter LIV

Y/N's POV

In the early morning, Y/N stood at the door, a vial of red liquid in his hand. "Blood supplements?" he asked, examining the vial.

Rengoku nodded. "Yes, Tamayo-san provided instructions and materials for blood extraction. This should be enough to keep you... um... well-fed until she develops a cure for those symptoms," he explained.

Y/N turned the vial over in his hand, watching the liquid swirl. "Well... I... thank you, Kyojuro-san," he said with gratitude and a hint of discomfort.

Rengoku gave a cheerful nod but made no move to leave. After a brief pause, he casually added, "It's my blood you're holding. Tengen-san also volunteered, and Shinobu-san extracted some from both of us."

Y/N's expression shifted from gratitude to surprise and a touch of unease. The thought of his friends giving their blood for him to consume was both touching and disconcerting.

"Aren't you going to drink it now?"

Caught off guard by the question Y/N glanced down at the vial again, his fingers tightening around it. "Ummm... no, not right now," he responded, not sure how to feel..

Rengoku clapped him on the shoulder with a hearty laugh, "No worries! Just know we're all here to support you, Y/N-san!" he said, his voice filled with enthusiasm.

"Thanks...Kyojuro-san."

As Rengoku turned to leave, Y/N watched him go, the vial still in his hand.

Y/N hesitated for a moment, the vial of blood in his hand feeling heavier than it actually was. With a deep breath to steel himself, he quickly uncorked the vial. The door to his room clicked shut behind him as he retreated into the privacy of his room.

Standing alone, Y/N lifted the vial to his lips. He closed his eye and in one fluid motion, downed the contents, trying not to focus on the taste. It was unexpectedly sweet despite having the familiar metallic tang of blood. The flavor reminded him of a rich, deep sake.

As the last drops trickled down his throat, Y/N set the empty vial down on a nearby table with a soft clink. "This is just temporary. Soon, I'll be back to enjoying the delicious meals the girls prepare at the estate." He thought.

Wanting to get rid of the aftertaste, Y/N made his way to the bathroom. He turned on the faucet. He rinsed his mouth thoroughly to remove any trace of the blood.

After finishing up in the bathroom, Y/N paused for a moment, taking in his reflection in the mirror. The person staring back at him was the same, yet fundamentally changed.

With a final glance, he stepped back into the hallway.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

.

Back in his room, he contemplated his wardrobe. His usual slayer uniform was in tatters after the fight with Gyutaro and Daki, and surprisingly, the kakushi sewing division hadn't provided him with a replacement yet. He felt a bit of guilt remembering the haori Iguro had made for him, now destroyed. The idea of asking for a new one was too embarrassing to consider.

His eye drifted to the flashy blue and black haori Tengen had given him years ago, hanging in the back of his wardrobe. It wasn't really his style, but he imagined Tengen and his wives would be thrilled to see him wear it. "Maybe later," he mused, opting instead for simple hakama pants and a kimono.

Exiting his room, Y/N stood under the shade provided by the estate's roof. He noticed his sword and yari still lying on the ground, exactly where he had left them after that stormy night with Kanae. A chuckle escaped him – it seemed no one had bothered to pick them up... Well he thought only Tengen and Gyomei would be able to lift his yari.