Chapter LXIII

.

Each time Kagaya attempted to speak, Y/N cut him off

"Every letter, every penny I sent... where did it go? To a family that was already dead?" Y/N asked bitterly. "You knew, didn't you? You knew and you kept it from me!"

Kagaya opened his mouth to respond, but Y/N stopped him. "No, don't even try to deny it. I trusted you, respected you, but you... you played me for a fool."

"And my brother, Sanemi... he lied to me too. All these years, living a lie, and for what? To protect me? Or to protect yourselves from the confrontation?"

Kagaya tried once again to speak, to offer some explanation, but Y/N was not in the mood to listen. "I said shut up!"

"And what about the rest of the Corps? Were they in on this too? Laughing behind my back, knowing the truth?" Y/N said in accusation, his eyes checking the room as if expecting hidden people.

Kagaya remained silent.

His paranoia grew more as he continued, "Is this how you treat your own? Is this the reward for spilling blood and risking life? Lies and betrayal?"

"Maybe you're all just using us, demon slayers. Maybe there's more you're not telling me... about the demons, about everything."

After unleashing his frustrations and paranoia, Y/N finally allowed Kagaya a chance to speak. "Speak now, Ubuyashiki," he demanded.

Kagaya began to speak to Y/N with a soft tone. "Y/N, I know you're in pain, and I am deeply sorry for the role I played in your suffering. The decisions made were complex, but I assure you, they were never intended to cause you harm."

Before Kagaya could continue, Y/N abruptly cut him off, "Shut up... I can't stand your voice right now..."

Y/N's anger then turned to himself and towards his deceased family, "It's all their fault for leaving me... and mine for not protecting them."

As these thoughts overwhelmed him, Y/N's anger deflated into a sense of utter exhaustion and defeat. He collapsed to his knees.

"It's their fault," he muttered, referring to his deceased family. "They left me alone... left me to shoulder everything."

His anger then turned towards his fellow Hashira. "And what about them? They pretend to care, but where were they when I needed them the most? They're just a bunch of hypocrites," he spat out, his resentment growing.

The self-blame was equally harsh. "And me... I'm the biggest fool of all. I couldn't even protect my own family. Worthless... that's what I am."

Then his anger sharply focused on her. "Kocho, with her saint-like act, thinking she can heal everything with a smile and a few kind words. What does she know about loss? About real pain? She's just playing the part, pretending to care. But when it comes down to it, she's just as distant and oblivious as the rest."

He paused, his breath heavy from the emotion, but his anger was far from gone. "And Sanemi... my 'brother.' More like a stranger now. He's been keeping the truth from me, letting me live a lie. How can I ever trust him again? He's a coward, hiding behind his duties, too afraid to face me with the truth."

"They think they're helping, but they're just making everything worse. They're part of the problem, not the solution."

"My child, come with me, please." Kagaya stood up and began to walk toward another room, signaling for Y/N to follow.

Amane started to speak, but Kagaya raised a hand to stop her. "Stay with our son," he instructed softly, his gaze lingering on Kiriya for a moment before turning back to Y/N.