Chapter XLIX

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

The news of the catastrophe at the entertainment district began to spread across the country, the massacre for a moment, led the government to believe that the result had been a rebellion.

For the first time in years, the government could not offer a proper explanation, nor they could silence the witnesses and survivors stating they saw a creature fighting with a tall man.

Above Tamayo, Yushiro, and the unconscious Y/N, Raijin, Y/N's loyal crow, let out a mournful tear. Sensing the possible end of Y/N's humanity, the bird took to the skies, flying towards the Ubuyashiki estate to deliver the news.

The journey was long, by the time Raijin reached the estate, the sun had already risen.

Inside the estate, Kagaya Ubuyashiki was attending to the duties of his position. He sighed as he put down the expenses of the month, his gaze drifting to his children. Kiriya, his four-year-old son, sat between his sisters Hinaki, Nichika, Kuina, and Kanata with white hair like their mother Amane, except for Kiriya's black hair.

"Why are the expenses of the Slayer Corps important, despite our wealth?" Kagaya asked softly, his heart sad with the burden of the Ubuyashiki curse and the knowledge that his children were being groomed for a life of responsibility far beyond their years.

Kiriya looked at the papers with furrowed brows and glanced at his sisters, seeking an answer.

Amane watched sternly yet with a suppressed smile and encouraged her son. "No, Kiriya, you will be the leader of the Slayer Corps one day. It's you who must answer."

Kagaya chuckled softly, patting his son's head affectionately. "Try, my son. It doesn't matter if you're wrong."

Encouraged by his father and nods from his sisters, Kiriya offered his best reply. "The expenses are important because we need to support the slayers. They fight for us, so we should take care of them."

Kagaya warmly praised his son, "That's a good start, Kiriya." He then gently corrected him with further insights into the responsibility and management of the Corps' resources. "You must remember as long as our family survives, Kibutsuji will never win, no matter how much our organization is destroyed, if an Ubuyashiki lives, we have a chance."

At that moment, Raijin, exhausted and near collapse, landed on Kiriya's lap. Unstartled, Kiriya gently stroked the crow before handing it to his father with care.

Kagaya carefully took Raijin, recognizing the urgency of the crow's arrival. He looked into Raijin's eyes, searching for any hint of the message it carried. The presence of Y/N's crow at the estate, especially in such a state, could only mean that something significant, and likely grave, had transpired.

"Raijin, what news do you bring?" Kagaya inquired softly, his voice a mixture of concern and authority, as his family looked on with apprehensive curiosity.

The atmosphere in the room shifted palpably as Raijin delivered his message. "Shinazugawa... Y/N has defeated Upper Moon Six," he managed to convey, despite his exhaustion.

A collective gasp filled the room. Amane's reaction was most pronounced, her eyes widening in shock, while the girls exchanged stunned glances. Kiriya, observing his family's reaction, tilted his head in confusion, trying to grasp the significance of the news.

Kagaya remained silent for a moment, after listening to Raijin's message. Amane turned to her husband. "Kagaya-sama?"

Then a huge smile spread across Kagaya's face. For the first time in years, the esteemed and gentle leader of the Slayer Corps, usually so composed and restrained, let out an exuberant shout.