Chapter XXI

⚠️❗Content Warning: This chapter is long as hell. ❗⚠️

Y/N's POV

Y/N's eyes fluttered open, adjusting to the soft daylight in the room. He lay on a plain, unoccupied bed in what appeared to be a hospital room judging by the other empty beds in the room. It felt strangely familiar yet distant.

 He tried to sit up, and that's when he noticed the dull aches and sharp stabs of pain radiating from various parts of his body.

A Kakushi entered the room, wearing their characteristic, uniform and mask. Y/N gave the Kakushi a small, confused smile.

The Kakushi spoke in a calm and detached tone, "You've been asleep for quite some time, Shinazugawa-sama. You fell from a considerable height and sustained multiple injuries. The most severe were the wounds on your left thigh and bicep. We've cleaned and treated them, but recovery will take some time."

Y/N glanced at the bandages around his abdomen and arm, his gaze distant. "How long was I out?" he asked, trying to piece together the events that had led him here.

The Kakushi adjusted a clipboard they were holding and replied, "You've been unconscious for two days. Fortunately, your injuries aren't life-threatening, but the healing process will be slow."

Y/N felt a peculiar emptiness inside. "What happened?" he inquired, feeling like a piece of his memories was still missing.

The Kakushi hesitated for a moment, "You were involved in a mission, Shinazugawa-sama, to eliminate a demon. The demon caused substantial damage to both you and your partner Iguro-sama. The exact details may be hazy due to your injuries and the stress of the situation."

Y/N nodded, though the explanation felt insufficient. "Where is he? Is he okay?"

The Kakushi's eyes softened beneath the mask. "Iguro-sama had been resting in another room for just a few hours and left. He was injured as well but less than you."

"Kocho-sama was quick to tend your injuries, I will leave you to rest," The kakushi bowed.

The Kakushi was about to leave the room.

Y/N felt a bit happy when the Kakushi mentioned Kocho-sama. The memory of those days spent with Kanae flooded his mind, filling him with warmth and fondness. the last time they had seen each other had been the Final Selection.

Y/N turned to the Kakushi and asked, "Hey, you think she would be upset if she found out I was out and about?" He added a playful wink and a sly grin as he made the request.

The Kakushi, though hidden behind the mask, seemed to blush as his voice trembled slightly, "...Well, just for a moment, alright? But remember, I was given strict orders about you resting."

Y/N chuckled and gave a thumbs-up, "Of course! I promise I'll be on my best behavior. Can't let her down, right? And the last thing I want is getting you into trouble."

With that, Y/N made his way out, he continued to wander the place,  puzzled by his presence there. 

In the garden, he playfully kicked off his sandals and allowed his bare feet to touch the grass, reveling in the sensation of the soft blades beneath his toes. It was a moment of peace until he heard a voice, one he had longed to hear. "Shinazugawa-san, you should be in bed."

Turning around, he saw Kocho Kanae, she was calm as always, but something was different. Her professionalism felt like a barrier between them, and the use of "Shinazugawa-san" instead of the familiar "Shinazugawa-kun" bothered him.

 Her long, straight, black hair and those charming bangs framing her face had always been a signature look. She stood there in a purple-tinted Demon Slayer uniform, her haori adorned with white butterfly patterns that faded into mint green and pink. She looked every inch a Hashira, even if both had only been Slayers for a few weeks.