Chapter LXXIV

I suggest that to refresh your memory guys you read again chapters V, XIII and Chapter XLIV. It will make this chapter so much better.,

.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

.

3rd Person's POV

As Giyu stood among the Hashira, the usual sense of duty that filled him in their gatherings was gone. Today they were here not to strategize against demons or to celebrate their victories but to deliberate on the fate of one of their own—Shinazugawa Y/N, a comrade and, to Giyu, much more than just a fellow Hashira.

Glances were exchanged All eyes occasionally drifted towards the Flower Hashira, whose usual bright demeanor was replaced by a stoic face. Giyu admired her strength he would be feeling very much uncomfortable.

Seeing her and Y/N together had always elicited happiness for his friend and a subtle, inexplicable pang in his chest.

The Hashira were there but two significant absences were noted: Oyakata-sama and Y/N.

Giyu's gaze returned to Kocho, noting the subtle tightening of her jaw, the only sign of the strain she was under. He wanted to offer some word of support, a gesture of solidarity, but the formal setting and the nature of their gathering held him back.

Instead, he settled for a nod of acknowledgment when her eyes briefly met his.

Giyu's thoughts drifted momentarily to the similarities between Kanae and his late sister, Tsutako. How Kocho carried herself, her kindness, her intelligence, and the maternal care she extended to everyone around her resonated with memories of Tsutako. It was a bittersweet reflection, one that explained the respect and fondness he felt for Kanae, not just as a fellow Hashira but as a person.

His attention then shifted to Shinobu, Kanae's younger sister, who, despite her often sharp tongue and penchant for teasing him, had become an unlikely source of companionship for Giyu. He wouldn't call it friendship in the conventional sense—Shinobu's barbs ensured that—but there was mutual respect and understanding between them. She was fun to be around even if he never showed it and he enjoyed talking with her.

These reflections were interrupted as the engawa door slid open, signaling the arrival of Oyakata-sama.

.

❛ ━━・❪ ❁ ❫ ・━━ ❜

.

A few days ago...

Giyu stood in Kanae's office. Kanae's attempt at hospitality with her offer of tea and snacks seemed more like a stalling tactic than a genuine gesture.

"I'm fine, Kocho... We can go straight to what you need."

"It's about Shinazugawa-kun," 

Giyu felt a knot tighten in his stomach. The topic was inevitable, "You knew what he did, but I didn't..." Giyu's words were filled with a sense of betrayal, not just for the secrets kept from him but for the friend he thought he knew.

Kanae's expression was one of resignation, her eyes meeting Giyu's. "Tomioka-san... I... I know I'm speaking of betrayal, but... if he is to be executed, I will break him out and take him away from here," she confessed.