Chapter- 31: The Last Obstacle

Giovanni Sakaki studied his opponent carefully. He claimed to be Red, from Hell, for some reason. Red had powerful Pokémon, he had destroyed every single Gym across Kanto, stopped a Team Rocket attack on SS Anne, and destroyed the Celadon Game Corner. His travelling companion was the Sinnoh Champion herself.
"So... I'm not a conventional Gym Leader, Red. You may be aware. Now... First of all, here are the rules. This will be a three- on- six. You'll be able to use only three Pokémon. But you can substitute. I can't. Considering I won't have the liberty to substitute, I'll be using more Pokémon. Most importantly... there's no out- of- bounds rule. Or sleep rule. Victory can be achieved only by knockout."
Cynthia narrowed her eyes as she stared at Giovanni. That man was no ordinary Gym Leader, but the strongest of the old Elite led by Agatha, Surge and Blaine. He was the second- in- command to Samuel Oak himself at one point.
"Then let's begin, Ash! Nidoqueen. The first round is yours. " Giovanni threw out a Pokéball containing a monstrous Nidoqueen. "Nidoqueen is the most docile of my team, all of whom were bred for war."
"Don't worry, I won't disappoint. Salamence, it's war!"
Giovanni looked quite surprised at the clearly powerful Salamence hovering around the platform.
"Good, good, good. " Giovanni chuckled. "Nidoqueen, get in!"
"Salamence, Dragon Pulse!"
"Dodge it and use Ice Punch!"
Ash's eyes widened as he heard the command. Salamence actually flinched from the hit.
"Salamence, hit back. Dragon Claw! Put in Dragon Tail as well."
Giovanni frowned. Ash could use so many Flying- Type Attacks that could be super- effective, why Dragon- Type Attacks? Strange.
"Now, grab her and use Seismic Toss!"
Salamence did exactly that.
"Now! Don't let up! You'll have to finish this! Air Slash! She can't get up!"
"Counter that! Let him touch you!"
"What- oh... shit." Ash realized that Poison Point was Nidoqueen's Ability, and Salamence was infected on contact.
"End it! Hyper Beam!"
The powerful Attack ended Nidoqueen, but Ash knew what Giovanni was aiming for.
"Return, Nidoqueen! End this, Nidoking!"
Giovanni was never hoping to defeat his Salamence. The Seismic Toss forced him to make an on- spot plan to eventually defeat the blasted Pokémon. Now that he was poisoned, Giovanni would be assured of a victory.
"Nidoking, jump and use Pin Missile on him from above!"
"Use Steel Wing! Deflect it all!"
Salamence put his wings upward to deflect the Attack, but he felt the front unguarded. Giovanni had a moment of distraction- and he took it.
"Nidoking, now!"
Ash realized too late that Nidoking also had Poison Point. Salamence drew back with a hiss as he was infected.
"Air Slash and Steel Wing! It's now or never!"
Giovanni cursed because Ash had a perfect counter. Ash had immunity and resistance to his Attacks, combined with super- effective Attacks of his own.
"Use Hyper Beam on the rocks, Nidoking! Send them flying!"
Rock- Type Attacks could be super- effective against a Flying- Type, but Giovanni had to manipulate the rocky environment to create such a powerful, titanic Attack.
It was Ash's turn to curse.
Salamence and Nidoking were both back up.
It was all up to who would fall. "Salamence! Hyper Beam!"
Since Nidoking, energy reserves depleted with the Hyper Beam, collapsed to the ground, the result was clear.
But then, Salamence collapsed too.
______________________________________

(A/N: 1. Cliffhanger! Salamence down. Who's next?
2. As for what Cynthia is doing, we'll see shortly. )