Chapter- 38: Science Fest

"Professor Oak, have you watched the movies Iron Man and Man of Steel?"
"Yes... but what does it have to do with the revolutionary scientific discovery you made?"
"You saw how they harness energy, right?"
"Mmm... yes. The Kryptonians harvest solar energy from the sun and use it for combat purposes. Iron Man has an arc reactor built into his body and uses the energy to power this suit. What then?"
"That’s the exact difference you'll see between the Abilities of an ordinary Pokémon and the mutated Pokémon I captured. Charizard and Garchomp. "
"Alright... wait, what?!"
Samuel Oak was taken aback by the revolutionary discovery and fainted on the floor.
______________________________________

"Usually, a creature like Tyranitar or Garchomp use their own bodily elements for the Sand Stream Ability. Similarly, an Infernape or Charizard would use similar elements produced in their body for the Blaze Ability. Isn't that correct, Professor... that they use a particular gland in their body for such purposes?"
"True, True, Ash. Continue."
"But with the mutations, the gland, the Abilous Gland, is Similarly mutated. It changes the scope of their Abilities. The Abilities change like nothing else. A paradox is created. "
"A Paradox, as in...?"
"The process for sustaining Abilities and harnessing energy for a normal Pokémon in the situation would be similar to that of a nuclear reactor, but it actually produces less energy than a solar panel. Because you see, elemental reserves are low as far as the Pokémon themselves are concerned. But when Charizard harnesses solar power from the Sun, or Garchomp picks up dust from the Ground... the resources from which the energy is drawn are infinite. The reserves drawn on follow a process similar to a solar panel- but the power generated is as much as a nuclear bomb. Devastatingly powerful. Wonder what would happen if other Pokémon were mutated?"
"Do you know?"
"NO. But that's what I intended to find out. "
After this, he felt, leaving the aged Professor to practically salivate at the information.
______________________________________

"Please welcome to the 45th Annual Scientific Conference. Where the boundaries of knowledge are broken at every point, with groundbreaking discoveries. This time... the subject of discussion for the first round goes to Assistant Researcher Ash Ketchum, sponsored by Professor Samuel Oak. Mr Ketchum will present his discoveries, named 'Genetic Mutation and Pokémon Abilities and Movesets.'"
Some of the more conservative Researchers looked horrified at the idea of a young fellow who wasn't even a full- time Researcher, take over the First Talk. They'd always been told that the First Talk was a position of honor.
Steven Stone, who (being deeply interested in such things) had come to the Conference, stepped down and allowed Ash to take the lead. Several Professors: Samuel Oak, Bill Montgomery, Dr Fuji, Professor Cerise and Blaine had come from Kanto. From Johto and the Orange Islands came Professors Elm, Spencer Hale and Philena Ivy. From Hoenn came Professor Birch and from Sinnoh Professor Rowan and Seymour the Scientist (saved by Ash on Mount Moon). Unova had sent primarily Dr Fennel and Professor Aurea Juniper, and Kalos sent Professor Augustine Sycamore, his lab assistant Alain, and Mr Lysandre and Dr Xerosic of Lysandre Labs. Alola had sent Professors Burnet and Kukui. Galar had sent Professor Magnolia and her granddaughter Sonia. These were the primary scientists, and the ones who showed most interest. The others were either apathetic or outright opposed to Ash taking the floor.
But Professor Oak had convinced Ash to come, and these powerful Researchers backed him, preferring an open- minded approach.
"I thank you all for this opportunity. As we all know, a raid  last month revealed that Team Rocket had cloned and mutated four Pokémon, two of which are currently in my possession. "
Uproar.
"Genetics. Extremely controversial. Dangerous. Yet a field with a lot of potential. Team Rocket created a stable version of the Pokémon we expected to be Extremely volatile. Yet... the Pokémon changed, and in an equally controversial manner. Some might claim that it changed for the better. Yet some claim it changed for the worse."
Silence, complete Silence.
"I'll send out the two Pokémon in question. We'll have a look at their Movesets and Abilities. "
Everyone looked Extremely interested now.
"As you see, Charizard bears the Ability Blaze but is a Fire/ Dragon- Type. Moreover, he can use Blaze to power up Dragon- Type Attacks."
It was at this moment that someone noticed that the Tail Flame of Ash's Charizard was missing, and a scream echoed throughout the Hall.
______________________________________

Thunderous, resounding applause. Ash had just made statements that had shaken the scientific community.
Professor Oak was full of pride. Fuji, Blaine, Steven and Bill were also clapping hard. Professors Juniper, Ivy, Fennel and Magnolia (Junior) had hearts in their eyes, both from his looks and his knowledge, but anyway. Elm, Sycamore, Hale, Burnet, Kukui and Cerise were all looking to invest in Ash. Magnolia Senior approved of Ash's resourcefulness. Alain wanted to become like Ash someday.
Meanwhile, a certain delegation consisting of Dr Zager, Dr Namba and Professor Sebastian were plotting how to reveal the information to Team Rocket.
Lysandre and Xerosic were plotting to use this in favor of Lysandre Labs and Team Rocket.
All the while, Seymour the Scientist completed videotaping the incident. The data was sent to a Cyrus Akagi.
______________________________________

(A/N: 1. Ash finally makes his groundbreaking lecture on the "Ketchum Paradox ", as I now call it.
2. Three cheers for everyone who guesses who Cyrus Akagi is. Sinnoh, guys!
3. Team Flare is no threat now. Lysandre is just looking to listen in and exploit the data. Only Seymour's organization and Team Rocket are current threats.
4. The Scientists of Team Rocket attended the Conference. Now they shall report it to the Supreme Leader. It may not be Giovanni.
5. Yes, you just met Kalos Alain. His Charizard will come soon.)