Chapter- 43: Assunta Torn Asunder

"We have entered the Colosseum once again, for the Top 64 Trainers who have entered this Conference. After the destructive 3 - 0 match between Paul Shinji and Barry Jun, we enter the tenth match in the Tournament. Ash Ketchum against Assunta... both Trainers have delivered crushing defeats to their opponents. Let the Battle begin!"
"Well, I don't think you'll make it further than this, you know. " Assunta told him, a smirk on her face.
"Yeah... we'll see about that. " Ash's answer was short and to the point.
"Very well... go, Nidoqueen. "
"Lucario, I'll be expecting a favourable job."
"Nidoqueen... Start with Earthquake. Take him off his feet."
That day, Ash would write something else in his diary.
Pokémon in the wild must remain on their feet. The same goes for humans, albeit more figuratively. Once the feet, the support base of a Pokémon are gone, they're finished.
"Lucario, take the air and respond with Close Combat. "
The ground shook as Lucario jumped up and punched Nidoqueen, really hard. A Rain of blows followed.
"Nidoqueen, Metal Claw... now!"
"Lucario... your own Metal Claw. "
The sound of clashing metal deafening everyone was prominent.
"Alright... Nidoqueen, now... Hyper Beam. "
Ash paled. If Nidoqueen got that Attack in, she was a Ground- Type and could daze Lucario, a Steel- Type, long enough to get several super- effective Attacks in. He had to end this... now.
"Lucario... Aura Shields!"
One of the new moves he had taught him. Instead of launching a conventional Aura Sphere, Lucario split the energy separately on both hands. Then it was physically flattened into rudimentary Shields by further energy. Since Aura was primarily a defensive power, it was natural that it held more power than the offensive Aura Sphere.
"WHAT?! They're even! Another new move! This Ketchum is full of surprises. He got out of this!"
Assunta gritted her teeth after Ash's Lucario landed neatly on his feet.
"Lucario! Use Aura Sphere!"
"Intercept it with-"
"On the Ground!"
"What?!"
As Lucario was launched into the air, Nidoqueen was hit and toppled off her feet.
"Now! Aura Sphere on Nidoqueen, and Close Combat after!"
The blue ball hit Nidoqueen too fast to even react, before Lucario struck. A terrifying combination of blows put Nidoqueen out of the count.
"NO! Nidoqueen, respond... fine, return. Fearow, make 'im pay!" Assunta glared venomously into Ash's eyes.
"Well... Lucario. Let's begin this battle..."
"Fearow, use Air Slash!"
"Oh... Iron Defense, Lucario. "
"Ash Ketchum is calmly dealing devastating hits against Assunta. He's in complete control of the situation. "
"Now. Steel Beam..."
"Block it with Steel Wing!"
The two metallic clashes became evident again.
"Impressive counter, Assunta. But not for long... Dig!"
"Dig?! Alright... Hyper Beam directly below you. "
"Lucario... use the manoeuvre. "
"What?!"
Lucario made to emerge from a hole beneath Fearow, but shortly vanished as the orange beam exploded, sending smoke around the field.
"Good lord! Assunta made a number on Lucario, we can't even find his body...! That's... wait, what's that on Fearow's back?!"
Ash grinned. Lucario had used the explosion to escape back into the hole, then used another distraction in the smoke to jump out of another hole close by- right onto Fearow's back.
"Shake him off, Fearow! Steel Wing on yourself!"
"Thunder Punch. "
And just as Fearow turned metallic to shake Lucario off, Lucario delivered too much electricity... into Fearow.
"And Fearow goes down! Assunta has just- one Pokémon left?!"
"Alright, Ketchum. I hoped it wouldn't come to this... but end this, Venosaur! Leech Seed!"
Lucario was leeched. His health would now be drained by the Venosaur.
"Lucario... use Metal Claw... on each other. "
"Venosaur, Vine Whip!"
"Dive... then switch to Thunder Punch!"
As Venosaur lashed out with the whips, Lucario send out another powerful voltage into Venosaur.
"Venosaur... you can do it, come on!"
At long last, Venosaur broke through, grabbing Lucario and proceeding to throw him into the ground with unnatural force. Lucario was down.
"Finally... Venosaur gets one. Who next?"
"Absol, it's war. Finish this!"
"Venosaur, Solar Beam!"
"Absol, Hyper Beam!"
Yet another explosion.
"Frenzy Plant!"
"Mega Horn!"
Now, these thorny vines were far more dangerous. So Ash ordered the only Attack he could: cut the vines nearest.
"Get him! Now!"
"Leap on the vines!"
Absol leaped gracefully over the vines before rising into the air.
"Absol... Hyper Beam on the plant!"
Which was basically the one weakness Venosaur had. An explosion rent the air!
"Victory for Ketchum... it seems that the young man has more potential than we originally thought. "
Assunta looked sadly at her fallen Venosaur, before congratulating Ash and leaving.
______________________________________

(A/N: 1. Assunta loses early instead of defeating Ritchie. This is because Ritchie was a poorly fleshed- out character. I wanted Ash vs Ritchie to be a significant, six vs six moment.
2. I told you: Ash has one year to deal with Mewtwo. He must become as strong as the Elite Four to even have a chance against Ashverse Mewtwo. What did you expect after that, hmm?)