Chapter- 45: Semi- Quarter Final

"This Battle will be the final three- on- three Battle between Ash Ketchum against Paul Shinji!"
"Ursaring... standby for battle! Ketchum... I'll congratulate you. You've trained Chimchar... to the best it can reach." Paul let out a rare smile, "But that's it. You're done. I'll end it."
"Try it." Ash countered, "Just try it. Charizard, it's war!"
"Ursaring... head forth and use Zen Headbutt!"
"Charizard. Steel Wing. "
Ursaring crashed to the ground.
"Ursaring... get up. Now... charge with Metal Claw!"
"Metal Claw...! Charizard, use your own Metal Claw, then Blast Burn at close quarters. "
"Shit! Ursaring... switch to Fake Out!"
"Perform that Blast Burn!"
"Ursaring... use High Jump Kick."
Ursaring was able to avoid most of the blue blast of fire, but a little of that fire could burn. Still... Ursaring was able to avoid instant knockout and strike a major blow.
"Hyper Beam... on the head."
"Seismic Toss!"
The Resulting explosion was important. With a high toss, to the ground... and a powerful apex beam, Charizard sustained a bit of damage, while Ursaring crashed down.
"I'd say... against my second strongest Pokémon, you acquitted yourself pretty well. Let's see what you can do... Paul. "
"Yeah... we'll see, Ketchum. Standby for Battle, Magmortar."
"Very well. Charizard... use Overheat."
"Such a powerful move, so early in Battle. "
"On the rocks!"
The rocks around the two Pokémon began to melt into Magma. Charizard flew into the air and Magmortar was left stumped on the ground.
Paul looked shocked, before turning back to Ash.
"Well... you're ready to fight Magmortar in his most favourable element, I wasn't aware. "
"Charizard... Blast Burn. "
"NOT AGAIN. "
Ash's Charizard simply blasted the Magmortar apart. The blue explosion rippled through the sky itself.
"And Magmortar goes down! We're witnessing some Elite Four level Pokémon, definitely, I swear!"
"Tell you what, Ketchum, impressive. I wonder what such a powerful Trainer is doing in the League circuit? Anyway..."
"Well... you've got to start small."
"I'll never understand your type. Anyway... let's begin, then, shall we? Electavire, standby for Battle!"
"Let the Battle begin!"
"Electavire, use Thunderbolt!"
"Charizard, Dodge!"
"Thunderbolt again! Keep using!"
"Dodge! Keep dodging! Then use Blast Burn on the entire area!"
The blue flames seemed to melt whatever was left of the ground as it sped towards Electavire.
"Thunder Screen!"
It seemed like an electricity- infused version of Light Screen. A reflective pane of glassy electricity blocked the already dispersed Blast Burn. The glassy layer shattered from the resultant explosion, but Electavire was fine. Ash's face registered a shock, as did Charizard.
"How?!"
"You think you're the only one to have taught your Pokémon new moves? I guess you just miscalculated. Electavire... Discharge... now!"
Before Charizard could recover, Electavire slammed his fist into his other... a powerful current blasted Charizard, who was still recovering, from all sides.
"Charizard... come on! Get up now!"
He had been in complete control of the match till now. Paul was a powerful opponent, and he had underestimated the fellow. He had to salvage the match immediately.
"Whatever you do, Ash... Charizard is going down. Electavire, follow up with a powerful Thunder Punch to the jaw!"
"Charizard! Come on, get up!"
Charizard began to get up, but the powerful Uppercut sent him reeling.
"Now another!"
"Charizard, Steel Wing into the ground!"
Ash had salvaged the situation. Finally. Something to do.
"Use Draco Meteor in the mouth!"
"Electavire, get out of there!"
Too late, the meteors blasted Electavire high up into the air, from where he began to free fall. With a crashing noise... Electavire collapsed.
"And another decisive victory for Ash Ketchum of Pallet Town! Paul Shinji of Sandgem City has been defeated! A powerful opponent, if there ever was one!"
"Congratulations, Ketchum. You've certainly done a number on me. However, be very careful. This isn't the end... the Battle has just begun. "
And therefore... Ash got lifted into the Top Sixteen. He glanced at the board to check his next opponent. Katie Broadway from Hoenn, apparently.
______________________________________

(A/N: 1. Paul was able to give Charizard trouble because he's an actual threat. He isn't a regular Trainer who doesn't have any actual character, an Ash- clone (Ritchie) or an idiot (Cameron). He's someone who held his own against Masters Eight Ash.
2. Charizard did pretty well: he wasn't pushed to use Blaze, and he definitely didn't faint. Again... to even stand a chance against Mewtwo, he must become Elite Four level at least... I mean high Elite Four level. )