Chapter- 46: Disappointment

"The last round of three- on- three Battles is on us! Trainer Katie Broadway from Hoenn and our own King of Kanto, Ash Ketchum. "
Ash chuckled. He was what now? All right, at least this was going to be good.
______________________________________

Ash was extremely disappointed. He had no idea how Katie made it to the Top 16, and he sure wasn't asking. That wouldn't be the first time an opponent was a disappointment.
Katie had a Linoone, Wailord and Gardevoir. None of these could topple his Aerodactyl. Raw power was all it took to tear the Team apart. No strategic significance.
Katie was a good- looking girl, on the other hand. Blue hair, perfectly heart- shaped face, high cheekbones, perfect figure, big green doe eyes. And she wanted to thank him.
______________________________________

Harry woke up to knocking on the door. Intense knocking. He threw the blankets off his body and sat up. Beside him, Katie stirred. She yawned and cuddled next to him. The door burst open.
"Ash, I- AAAAHHH!"
Steven jumped back, covering his eyes. After all, they were naked. Ash and Katie blushed as he tried to look away.
"Yes, Steven? Anything?"
"Uh... yep. They've found out about your next opponent, it's a Ritchie from Frodomar City. I'm in here for the League and volunteered to give you that message. After all, it's been a long time since we've seen each other. But first... PUT SOME CLOTHES ON!"
Ash raised his eyebrows as Steven hurried from the room. He and Katie both put on their clothes, after which Ash gave her tips on focusing her raw power and refining it. He then descended the stairs to find Steven waiting for him in the restaurant adjoint the Pokémon Center.
"So... Ash, how are you? I hope you're ready for your next Battle. After all, Ritchie is a tough opponent. Look out. And you're entering six- on- six Battles."
"Yes... I decided to study his Team in advance. A Raichu, Charizard, Swellow, Tyranitar, Tentacruel and Butterfree as his top battlers? He's not someone you underestimate, but I've got counters. "
"Well... it's nice to see you've been keeping up, Ash. You're going to be the Heir to Devon, after all. "
Ash spat out his drink. He felt shocked as he stared at Steven.
"What?"
"My uncle wouldn't gift you the visit to the Beldum colony otherwise. That's for prospective Heirs at least. But you got the grandson of his Metagross, the son of mine... so you're the next in line."
"I'm afraid I don't understand a word. "
"In the Stone family, it was always a tradition to select the Heir this way. You weren't Chosen by the Metagross Emperor's descendant simply because of power, but because of several traits notably found in a Trainer who can also run politics and business. And Metagross live longer than humans: the ancestral line of our Metagross trace back to the Emperor Metagross on Metagross Mountain. It's an ancient Metagross that has lived centuries, maybe millenia. The Emperor Metagross is stronger than mid- level Legendary Pokémon. And this is the blessed Royal Line of the Emperor Metagross. To breed any Metagross would require the capabilities of the CEO of Devon, the President and Champion of a Region. Metagross are difficult to breed in the sense that it's difficult to bring out the full potential. And this... this is the prophesied seventeenth Metagross of the Royal Line. It's destined to defeat Rayquaza, so it can't be taken lightly. Metagross understand very easily who's worthy and who isn't. Only two of us in the Stone family bred a Metagross properly, and both of us ran the Devon Empire. You've earned the Right to be the next in Line. I'm a playboy and I've never been this settling down kind of man. When I die, the Devon Empire is yours. "
There was a long, long silence as Ash contemplated the situation.
"Fine. If I remain alive. Speaking of deaths, what's Team Rocket up to now?"
"I guess you've earned a Right to know. There's been an influx of explosives, here, there and everywhere. I'm guessing that's just one part of it. Other than that, they're mostly quiet, except for a spate of suicide bombings in the islands. Some skirmishes between Team Rocket and Team Galactic. They've gone extremely quiet, which is actually... disconcerting. "
______________________________________

In Team Rocket HQ, several jets and helicopters were being loaded. Marching men with guns of various kinds were coming around. Tanks and armoured vehicles were being being similarly loaded, as were jeeps and motorcycles. Pokémon were being instructed, people being briefed. Pierce and Zager were watching this grand spectacle as the Team Rocket flag above it all made their army look like a militaristic Empire. And they were landing only ten percent of their forces. With Indigo Plateau captured, Kanto, Johto and the Orange Islands would collapse. With the Hoenn and Sinnoh Champions as guests, those two regions would hardly take too long. Delacore, Sevastar and Alola would be a pushover. Then they would go for the West, which would be reeling for the Attacks.
The Supreme Executive and Grand Executives would come to see the work shortly. By the time the Quarter- Finals ended, the army would be ready. When the Semi- Finals ended, they could reach the Indigo Plateau and wait. Six days... and then it would be over...
______________________________________

(A/N: 1. Yes, Ash will face Ritchie. I've always believe that I'm going to do justice to Ritchie with a six- on- six.
2. Team Rocket is preparing a direct invasion. You're soon going to learn why, though.
3. You already know why exactly Ash is the Heir of Devon Corporation. Derrick's legacy has to be honoured, in memoriam: Derrick Stone. )