Chapter 9 - The Undercroft

Few hours after class was over, me and Anastasia were in our Slytherin common room studying. A mysterious letter had slid under our door. I wonder who that was from. Anastasia witnessed the letter. She walked towards the door and picked up the letter.

With a bit of curiosity, I glanced at the letter that Anastasia picked up. "Who's it from?"

"Sebastian Sallow..." Anastasia furrowed her eyebrows.

"Why would Sebastian be writing letters if he can just talk to me in person?" I scoffed.

"Maybe he's too afraid...?" She gave me the letter.

"I really doubt that he'd ever be afraid of talking to me." Maybe he could've been busy and didn't have the time to talk to me right now. I carefully opened his letter.

"Angela,
Meet me by the stairs near the common rooms. I want to show you something."

Really? That's all he can say on a piece of paper? I put all my books away and walked out of the common room and head to the stairs Sebastian was telling me about and he was there.

"Ah, there you are Miss Lestrange!" Sebastian beamed. He proceeded to lead me to a passageway behind the stairs. And then he showed me a big grandfather clock looking-thing. "You just have to flick your wand and it'll open."

I flicked my wand just how he wanted me to. The clock was clicking and the door swung opened.

"You know, not even professors know about this place. Sebastian held the door open with a slight smirk on his face. "Ladies first." I slowly walked in through the door. He closed the door behind us. Passing through the metal gate, I began to explore the whole room. Stone floors and walls, four pillars lining at the center of the room, there was even candles hanging by the pillars. A few wooden crates and barrels, stacks of books laying at the side of the room, broken silver shiny armors, torches on every side of the room, four candelabras hanging each corner but only two of them were lit up.

"How did you find this place?" I was fascinated by all the things they had in this room.

"Ominis, he named it the Undercroft. Someone in his family knew about this place. The Gaunts are full of secrets..." Sebastian watches as I touch the candle lights examining the broken armors. "But we all used to play Gobstones here all the time with Anne. She really loves that game." He gave a small chuckle.

Fascinating...

"Could you perhaps teach me how to play Gobstones?"

"Wait... you've never played Gobstones?!" He snorts at me for not knowing what Gobstones is.

"Well I've heard of it, but I've never actually played it before," my awkward laugh slipped out.

"Let me teach you then..."

Apperently in Gobstones, the goal was to hit one of the stones and knock it out of the circle. If I knock any gobstones out of the ring, I get to keep it and have another turn. If no gobstones are knocked out, the next player gets to play the move. Every time a point is conceded, the winning stone squirts a foul-smelling liquid into the loser's face.

"You ready to play, Miss Lestrange?" Sebastian smirked, glancing his eyes up and down at me.

"I'm always ready," I chuckled trying to sound a little cocky.

Seven gobstones were circled in the center of the white ring. Sebastian made the first move as he flicked his stone and hits one of the seven gobstones. Stones were spreading out around inside the ring but wasn't out of the ring yet. It was now my move. I hit three stones, but no stones were out.