Chapter 22 - Slytherin Scriptorium

An owl flew across to my direction, dropping a note on my hand and my eyes watched the owl fly away in the halls.

"Lestrange, it's time. Meet us by the common room.

- Your favourite duelist, Sebastian Sallow"

My face soured when I read the note. Favourite duelist? Seriously Sebastian? I immediately got up to my footsteps and headed to the direction of the common room. It was fairly dark out so most of the students would be sleeping or in their common rooms by now. Right when I got there, Sebastian was leaning his back up against the wall, putting his one foot flat on it while crossing his arms. Ominis was there too, standing right next to Sebastian.

"Ready Lestrange?" Sebastian had to make sure I won't be caught slipping off this mission. I nodded slowly.

My eyes wandered off to Ominis. It seemed like he wasn't ready to go to this scriptorium even though he said he was. But he gestured us to follow him through a small empty pathway beside the common room.

"Keep an eye out. Never know who's watching." Sebastian reminded me. "Although that hasn't stopped us before."

I let out a soft exhale. "Strictly speaking, it has. We were caught." Referring to what happened in the library before.

"Damned poltergeist... such a nuisance."

We kept walking in a long hallway until Ominis stopped at a lock door which appears to be Slytherin's door according to what he said. "These braziers grant access to the scriptorium. Opening the entrance has something to do with threes."

"Well three heads are better than one," Sebastian joked off.

"It's two heads are better than one," Ominis corrected.

"And by that logic, three heads are better than two." He scrunched up his nose. "Simple mathematics Ominis."

I snorted a laugh on the inside. Three braziers... two of them being on the left. The other one was facing the door. None of them were lit up. My guess was to light them all up at once before it brushes off on its own. "CONFRINGO!" Sparks of flames blasted out of my wand towards all of the braziers.

The ground rumbles, opening the entrance of the scriptorium. There were spiral staircases heading down to the depths of darkness and eeriness.

"Lumos." I needed a beam of light.

Down.

Down.

Down.

"Dark, ominous corridors. My favourite." Sebastian cracked up another joke.

I let out a laugh this time, from his dumb joke.

"No comment." Ominis kept his straight face.

"Come on, that was a good one." The freckled Slytherin's eyes wandered off to me. "Even Lestrange thinks so."

"No, I just thought it was utterly stupid of a joke." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Well that hurt-"

More steps until we reached the floor and stumbled upon a door with snake structures on it. I glanced at an old note from the dusty cold ground and picked it up with my right hand.