Seven: Haunted. Part Two.

Still with Eddie and Shannon...

"Yeah, but we were expecting you to come back. And you didn't." He says.

"You could've come with me. You didn't want to leave Texas and your parents and your sisters, and... at least not until it was something that was important to you."

He laughed.

"That's not fair. I was trying to do what's best for Christopher." He tells her.

"Right. Because Eddie always knows what's best for everyone. I mean, God forbid you stop for a second and actually ask them what they need."

She turned around, grabbing her handbag.

"What did you need that I didn't give you?" He asked.

"You! I needed a husband and a co-parent. Instead, all I got was a life alone in Texas with a baby and you on another continent. I needed someone to have my back. I needed someone to have my back."

"I always had your back." He says.

"No, you were in Afghanistan."

She walked out of the house.

Later that night, Athena grabbed two wine glasses and walked over to the table

"Thanks again for coming by. Sometimes I like the quiet when Michael has the kids. Other times, not so much."

"Are these the remains Ash and Eddie found the other day out in Palos Verdes?" Hen asked.

"I'm trying to ID them. You know, notify the next of kin, hopefully."

"That's your job?" Asked Hen.

"What, helping people? I like to think so."

"No, no, no. I mean, don't detectives do that?" Hen asked.

"I'm sure they're gonna drop all their hot cases where the victim just died and the clues are everywhere to find out what happened to a pile of bones just laying out in the open, forgotten. I mean, I'm not saying they don't care. They're just too busy."

"So, did you run a DNA test?" Hen asked, staring at the pictures.

"Yeah, I set one up, but it's gonna take time. Dental records will probably come back first."

"Suddenly there's a rush?" Hen asked.

"Did I ever tell you about when I decided to become an officer of the law? I was nine years old. Middle of the night. I wake up, and I see my father getting dressed. Grabbing a flashlight, his gun. I look out the window, and I see the whole neighbourhood out there. A little girl... she was, uh, a grade behind me at school... had gone missing. Someone had just snatched her right out of bed. Nightmare."

"They find her?" Asked Hen.

"They found the barrette out of her hair out in the woods. But that was it. She was just gone. My mother, she went over to the girl's parents' house twice a week, bringing food that kind of thing. I almost never saw them except at church. That was the only time they went out. I remember how much they would change. Just one week of not knowing where their baby was... was enough to age them. It was just six months or so before they were totally broken, and I promised myself that when I was old enough, I was gonna become a policewoman and find that little girl for those people. Ease their pain."