Nine: Hen Begins. Part Two.

A few days later, Hen was at the firehouse washing the dishes, and Howie walked over and grabbed a plate and began drying it...

"I probably don't have to tell you to never let them see you cry." He says.

"No. This isn't my first rodeo with men like him. It's just the first time it happened in a job that I actually care about."

"Yeah, I understand." He says.

"No, you don't."

"Oh, you think they're inviting the Asian guy to their houses for barbecues and out for beers?" He asked.

"It's a big difference between being invisible and being a threat to their way of life. And, yes, you're a minority, too, but you're still a man. You benefit from a system that keeps women that look like me down."

"You always make friends this easily?" He asked, staring at her.

"Howie, quit screwing around in home ec class and get down here." Gerrard says.

Howie walked away, stopping a few feet away from her.

"Some unsolicited advice: doesn't have to be me, but you should talk to someone about this. You're not gonna survive if you take this on all by yourself, Hen."

The next morning, Hen was washing the fire truck, and Gerrard walked past, whistling

"That fender's a thing of beauty, Wilson. Like a damn mirror. It is almost as clean as the heads. I'd let my granddaughters play with their Barbies in there."

"I got a jump on it this morning, Captain. Also cleaned the grease traps in the kitchen, inventoried the trucks, even got the cobwebs in the rafters." She said, pointing up at the ceiling.

"Well, colour me impressed."

He chuckled.

"What?" She asked.

"You remind me of myself when I was a rookie, stuck with all the chores. No way I was gonna let down my captain. No way. Other thing I did when I was a rookie was check up on my calls."

She watched him put his moody boot on the truck.