//If You Just Take Off Your Mask//

It's been a month since we've seen George and I keep thinking about that kiss. It felt so good but so wrong. I can't eat. Can't sleep. Can't do anything. Matty can sense this. We sat in silence watching TV.
"Do--do you love him?"
"Who?"
"George. You've been like this since he left. What happened?"
"Matty I do love him but like a brother and nothing. He just said he needed space." I lied. I think everyone knows but Matty. Well I think he just doesn't want to know. He wrapped his arms around me. I was due in 2 more months. They weren't touring again until after our baby was born and we had time to adjust. They planned on October/November local dates just to get use to it. We still haven't set a date. Sometimes I wonder if we ever will... if George was right.. Suddenly their was a knock on the door. Matty sprang open to answer it. It was Adam. They said their greetings and he joked about my growing baby bump.
"H--how's George?" I asked trying to play it cool.
"George. Is well being George. Drinking heavily. Having lots of se.... I'm worried. Alice, I came to see what you said to him."
"But that's the thing. I haven't said anything to him. The night he left I was getting a late night snack and he was on the phone and said he couldn't stay here anymore. I tried asking why but he avoided it and flat out left."
"He keeps saying something about you and a blue French horn." Shit. Matty looked at me trying to connect the dots.
"Blue French horn?... Ted and Robin. Your favorite show...."
"The last thing he said to me was that he was crazy over me and that he knows we'll end up splitting like Robin and Barney and he would be my..." It all slipped out. Fuck.
"Stop. Stop. Just fucking stop." Matty held his face not looking at anyone. I rubbed his back and heard tears coming out. Adam didn't know what to do so he just left him alone. He mouthed a sorry to me.
Matty finally stopped and reached up to kiss me.
"Alice.. do you want me?"
"Matty of course I do. Why?"
"Do you have my back?"
"Babe. I do. Why?"
"I'm gonna fucking kill him. You're mine. Everyone knows that why can't he leave us alone? Why can't he accept it? We chose each other and we're having a baby and getting married."
"Matty, give it time. He'll get over it. It's why he needed space. Give it time."
"Alice, why did you lie about what he said? Are you in love with him? Are you cheating with him?"
"Cheating? Matty come on I'm with you all the time."
"You didn't answer the first question...
"Matty, I've told you a million times. I love him as a brother. I'm NOT in love with him."
Adam tried to comfort him knowing what his anger could do.
And then another visitor was at the door.