chapter nineteen

Crimson got into Tom's car and he sped off before she could even put her seatbelt on.

"Jesus, Tom, kill me why don't you?" He said nothing. "What's happening?"

"Marcus."

"Is he okay?"

Tom sighed. "He's asking for you."

"Well, yeah, he knows who I am now, even if he doesn't know about all the shit from before the incident."

"No, Red, he's asking for Cici."

Crimson's eyes widened. She hadn't mentioned the nickname to him, not wanting to overwhelm him with unnecessary details.

"Did he say anything else?"

"He won't. We tried getting him to talk, to tell us what he remembers, but it's no use. He only wants to talk to you."

"Shit, well speed up!"

Tom stepped on the gas, driving at about 50 mph on a 30 road. Crimson looked at his hands as they gripped the steering wheel. She shifted in her seat slightly, and Tom smirked. Her mind travelled back to Felix, and she stopped her staring to look out the window.

They pulled into the hospital parking lot, not even taking the time to pay for their parking as they ran in and up to Marcus' ward. Everyone was sat outside his room, and Crimson looked through the window, seeing him lay in bed.

"Are you Cici?" The nurse asked.

"Yeah."

"Go on in."

Crimson walked into the hospital room, looking at Marcus. He was looking a lot healthier than the first time she'd visited him. She smiled.

"Hey, Cici," he said.

"You remember?" Crimson asked.

"Everything. Well, I don't remember what actually happened."

"I think that's for the best."

"Sit down."

Crimson sat down on the seat next to Marcus' bed. He held her hand.

"Catch me up."

"On what?"

"Your life."

"Well, there's another guy. His name is Felix, he's tutoring me in math. I think he likes me too. Well, I know he does. We've agreed to go slow, though. I don't want another you know who situation."

"Anything else."

Crimson contemplated telling Marcus the next time, but ultimately decided to. "Tom and I kissed. Twice. Well, three times, but one time was during spin the bottle so I don't think it counts."

"Do you like him?"

Crimson sighed. "I don't want to. Tom and I are too alike. Plus, we're close friends, we hang out in the same circle, it'd ruin things if it didn't work out. Plus, I do really like Felix. Still, it'd be awkward if I rejected Tom, for the same reason."

"Well, I'll give you one piece of advice. Don't force yourself to be with Felix just because you're scared of being with Tom. But also don't force yourself to be with Tom just because you don't want an awkward friendship. If you reject him, he'll get over it eventually."

"Thanks, Marcus, I'm glad you're okay. Do you know when you're being discharged?"

"I'd assume they've gotta run a few tests, but the nurse said hopefully within the next week if all goes well. Hey, get in here."

"In your bed?"

"There's plenty of room."

Marcus moved over to make room for Crimson, and she crawled next to him, allaying her head on his chest. They did this a lot, as best friends. She was actually surprised they'd never caught feelings for each other, but she supposed that's what true platonic love was.

"I think I'm gonna go with Felix."

Marcus sighed, but Crimson couldn't see. In all honesty, he'd always liked Crimson and Tom together, ever since Tom punched that guy in the face. Still, maybe it'd take a few tries at love before her heart finally made its way to Tom.

"If that's what you really want."