chapter thirty-eight

6 months later

People loved them. They released their first album, which was self-titled, and it was flying off the shelves. Within the first two weeks of releasing it, they were already getting requests for interviews and demands for a tour.

It had been a year since Crimson left Germany, she was healing, but being called Sapphire Rose by the media really her when she knew she was Crimson, Tom's Crimson. She wondered if he still thought about her.

She didn't want to think about him. There was a new boy in her life, Matty. He was a singer in a band, too.

She'd actually had a bit of a crush on him before she left for Germany, but it soon went away. Now that she was back and they were in the same sixth form, it came back, and they started dating.

She felt bad calling someone her boyfriend knowing she wasn't over Tom, but they'd only been together two months, she knew she'd be over him soon.

She figured he was over her now anyway.

She'd changed her hair from her black and red highlights to blue ones, matching with the new name. She supposed she should embrace the colour blue now, as it would probably become her staple, just like red was.

The band had their first interview with Jimmy Fallon. It was Crimson's first time in the states, and she was a little scared being in a new country without her parents, but they had their manager, Adam, alongside them, so she wasn't too worried.

"He's so hot," Audrey said as they watched Jimmy
open the show before introducing them.

"Jesus, Audrey, he's almost, like, double our age."

"He's really not. He's fifteen years older than us."

"Yes, and we're seventeen, so he's almost double our age."

"Age is just a number."

Sapphire rolled her eyes as Jimmy introduced them onto the stage. They walked on and sat down, Crimson closest to Jimmy as they began to talk.

 They walked on and sat down, Crimson closest to Jimmy as they began to talk

"Tom, get in here," Tom heard Bill say from the living room. He was in his bedroom. Everyone else was on the living room, including Marcus.

He didn't really like to be around when Marcus was around. He had nothing against him, but everytime he spoke English and that accent popped out, even if it wasn't frequently, he thought of Crimson. Whenever he saw Luna and Marcus, who were now boyfriend and girlfriend, all cuddled up, he got jealous, remembering how he used to be.

"What?" Tom asked as he entered the living room. Bill pointed at the TV.

"Is that-?"

"Holy fuck."

Tom stared at the TV. Crimson, talking to Jimmy Fallon, sat next to three people he didn't know, who she'd never told him about. A band.

"Shit, she's the singer in Orphic?" Luna asked, "I knew I recognised that voice."

"Singer?!" Bill asked, "She never told me she could sing. Did she tell you guys?"

Everyone shook their head, even Tom. "I knew," Marcus said.

"Of course, you know everything about her," Tom scoffed, "Everyone shut up."

Tom grabbed the remote and turned the TV up, sitting down next to Georg. Jimmy turned back to Crimson.

"So, Sapphire," he said. Everyone pulled confused faces.

"Sapphire?" Gustav asked, "The fuck?"

"Why would she-" Tom began.

"Are you forgetting why she left?" Georg asked, "She can't go by her normal name if she's getting famous, Crimson Presley's not exactly a common name."

Everyone turned back to the TV, where Jimmy was still talking to Crimson.

"While we're on the topic of Audrey's relationships, or lack of, I wouldn't be wrong in saying you have a boyfriend, would I?"

Tom felt himself tense up as he waited for Crimson's answer.

"You wouldn't," she said, "I have an amazing boyfriend named Matty."

"And he has some pretty famous parents, correct?"

"Oh, god."

As Jimmy began to talk about Matty's parents, Tom muted the TV. "Anyone know who Matty is?" Tom asked.

Marcus looked at the TV. "That's Denise Welch. Oh my god, I remember him!"

"What? You know him?"

Marcus nodded. "I remember when Crimson first started school, and both of our mum's were like, going crazy because Denise Welch's son was at her school. His name's Matty Healy, I know him! I'll look him up on Twitter."

Marcus pulled out his phone and searched for Matty, instantly getting a match. He clicked on his profile and the most recent post.

 He clicked on his profile and the most recent post

MATTYHEALY: Guys is my hair messy be honest. Photo creds to the awesome gf

SAPPHIREROSE: Looks fine but should probably shave it all off just in case
——— MATTYHEALY: So you're asking for an ugly boyfriend? K...

"He seems like a douchebag," Tom said.

"He's actually pretty nice," Marcus said. Luna elbowed him and he cleared his throat. "I mean, yeah, total douchebag. Awful, um, personality. Terrible."

Tom went upstairs to his room. He didn't wanna watch the interview anymore. But he didn't get onto his computer and look up Matty. It seemed he'd only been dating Crimson for a couple months, but had tons of pictures with her. He wondered if he knew her real name. Surely he did, they knew each other before Germany.

Looking through the pictures of them partying, kissing, just doing couple things, he saw how happy Crimson was. As cringe as Matty seemed, he didn't seem like a genuinely bad guy, he didn't seem like he was gonna hurt her, and she was happy.

So, Tom was happy, too.

matty healys kind of an ass but 1. idc and 2. he's the only english singer i could think of that's the same age as them lol