Exam Prepping

(In this chapter, I'm introducing an OC, who has been previously referenced.)

"Hey, man. It's Y/N. Can you talk right now?" I asked, quietly. I was in bed, talking into my phone.

"Isn't it like, midnight in Japan? What's so important that it's got you calling me at this hour?" a male voice asked. It was an older teenager's voice.

"Look, if this is a bad time..." I began.

"Kidding, kidding. I'm just cruising with the wind in my face. What's got you so tense?" the man said. Airflow could be heard, on his end. He was definitely moving at a great pace. I released a frustrated exhale.

"Did you ever figure out a big secret, but the way you found it out wasn't exactly...right?" I asked, seriously.

"You just described like half of my job, pal. Going above and beyond to figure out the truth and stop the bad guys. That, and saving people, is what being a Hero is all about, remember?" the man replied.

"This is different, Sam. You're a real American hero, I'm just a student of Japan. And this isn't a secret about some villain trash, it's about one of my best friends." I said, somewhat irritated. I had to calm down. Speaking loudly would only draw attention from my parents. I was supposed to be asleep.

"Whoa. Want to get it off your chest?" Sam asked, respectfully.

"I basically spied on Midoriya, I mean, Izuku. I recorded a private conversation between him and All Might." I stated.

"Okay... Ethics aside, why would they be having a private conversation? I mean, you did say their quirks were similar, but..." Sam wondered.

"It's not really my secret to tell. But it's a secret related to his quirk. He had tried to tell me once before, but I didn't listen. And today, on impulse, I recorded him to get the full truth." I explained. My friend, Sam, was about to speak when violent sounds enveloped his side of the phone call. Sounds of impact, glass breaking, gunfire... "Whoa! Hey! Sam!" I said, concerned. Suddenly, some kind of 'thwipp' sound could be repeatedly heard, along with lots of pained grunts.

"Y/N, sorry. I was fighting some guys with machine guns. What were you saying? An impulse?" Sam finally replied. I couldn't help but laugh at his casual demeanor towards danger.

"You know, Webber, all of a sudden, my problems don't seem so big." I said, thankfully.

"Well, uh, I'm glad I could help...Maverick." Sam replied, surprised. I ended the call in a much better frame of mind. Then I noticed an unread text, from a few minutes ago.

'You up?' - Mei

My tired eyes widened as I recalled the sudden show of affection she had given me several hours before. Despite what time it was, I went to type a response. "What the hell do I say? What do you text a girl about, when it's after midnight?" I whispered, unsure. An idea emerged from the depths of my mind, making me facepalm at my own thoughts. As my phone vibrated, I looked to see I had received another message.

'Left me on read. You thinking about me?' - Mei

'How do I feel about Mei...? We've been talking and inconsistently working together since the Sports Festival. I think she's cool and fun. Definitely attractive. Jiro is cuter, though...(places hand to head) Since when do I think about stuff like this?! Dammit. I can't afford to let stuff like this get in my way. If I fall behind again, I'm not sure I could catch up so easily twice over...' I thought. With my phone in hand, I finally texted a reply.

'Maybe. But, you know, I always focus more on inventions and school stuff, than, well, romance.' - Y/N

'OMG. Same. I'm always working on stuff, but never really bothered much with people, until now.' - Mei