Keeping up A-fear-ances

We started the chapter with Total darkness.

Young Eda: [Narrating] It always starts the same way.

A young Eda suddenly gasps and sits up, panting in complete darkness.

Young Eda: [Narrating] I wake up someplace dark.

She stands up and looks around with a frightened expression. A shadow flashes past behind her, getting her to turn around to look at it.

Young Eda: [Narrating] And then it appears.

The Owl Beast appears. It steps on the ground, causing it to shake, It stretches its neck towards Eda spinning it's head a full 360 degrees, stops in front of her, and screeches. Eda cries out in surprise, then turns around and runs away, panting and crying. The scene then transitions into her in her room. She is sitting on her bed, telling this to a healer from the Healing Coven and her mother.

Young Eda: And eventually... I wake up and I know I turned into... that thing.

Healer: I see. Here, take this. [Hands over a large yellow gem to Eda] It will tell you when the beast's energy is bubbling to the surface. Also, I hear gems are quite fashionable for young witches.

Gwendolyn: Oh, what a beautiful little stone. [To the healer] May I speak with you outside?

She Ushers him outside before looking at Eda.

Gwendolyn: Just a minute, hon.

Eda's mom closes the door. Outside the room, she starts scolding the healer. Eda gets up and eavesdrops on their conversation behind the door.

Gwendolyn: What the heck was that? I thought you were in the Healing Coven, not the Bauble Brigade.

Healer: Mrs. Clawthorne, we have never seen a curse quite like this. I'm not sure it can be healed. Perhaps if we consult the Potions Coven, they may know a way to keep it at bay.

Gwendolyn: Keep it at bay? Oh, no. My daughter is suffering and I want that thing out! Cut it out if you have to.

Upon hearing that, Eda gasps and covers her mouth. She pants and clutches her chest. Then, she looks up and notices that her window is open. The wind blows, causing it to swing and squeak.

Gwendolyn: [Pushes door open] Edalyn, I'm taking you to someone else. [Looks up] Huh?

Gwendolyn notices the open window.

Cut to Eda running through a forest. She eventually stops to catch her breath, then starts walking taking in her environment.

Young Eda: I never knew this was back here.

Eda trips over something and falls down. She turns around to see what made her fell.

Young Eda: Huh?

Eda notices a suitcase-like thing buried in the sand. She picks it up and wipes off the dirt on its surface, revealing an eye shape. The eye then flashes, and the suitcase flies off Eda's hand. It folds open, with a key turning the lock, unlocking it. A door then opens, revealing it to be a portal leading to an unknown realm, with a green forest.

Young Eda: [Squints] What? Gwendolyn: [From the distance] Edalyn! Edalyn, is that you?

Eda hesitates, then runs through the portal. The portal folds up, blinks and disappears right before Gwendolyn comes out from behind a bush.

Gwendolyn: [Looks around] Edalyn! Edalyn!

Gwendolyn stops and looks down with a sad expression, then looks up to her right with a determined expression.