Gay

-Dan's POV-

The rest of the day went by quite fast. I normally sat alone at lunch or ate lunch in the library, but today, I sat with Phil and we just talked the whole time and got to know each other better. I could tell he was overcompensating for something. Not sure for what though, at least not yet. He was overly excited about any conversation we had, but it was nice. I hadn't had an intriguing conversation with anyone for a while.

After the final bell rang, I caught Phil in the after school crowd and waved a quick goodbye. I rushed outside and started making my way to my car. I drove home in a sort of a dazed state still thinking about how I managed to meet somebody who actually enjoyed being around me.

I walked up the front steps of my house and through the door. I hear my mom in the other room but I don't bother saying hi. Me and her had always been super close , I just wasn't in the mood to talk. I needed to think. 
I go straight to my room, and toss my bag off in the corner. I look into my mirror and replay the events that happened today.
I can't stop thinking about Phil. His eyes, his voice, his smell. Smell? That's creepy. fuck.

Why am I thinking this? I'm being so weird right now. He's just talking to me right now because he doesn't know anybody else at the school yet. Right? I mean, I'm acting like I'm in love with him. I'm practically drooling over him, but I'm straight.
I try to shake the thoughts of him from my head but it doesn't work. He's just too good to be true. I got butterflies when talking to him during lunch. That's not supposed to happen.
And even if I might be one percent gay there is no way in a million years that Phil is gay. Or that I'd ever even want to date a guy or ever be with one. He seems like he was pretty popular at his old school and I wouldn't want to mess that up with me. I'm nobody. I've never really had any close friends. I've only dated one girl and it ended bad. I'm scared of relationships. I wouldn't want to date him because what if something bad happened and then we never talked again.
But I honestly don't know what I'm talking about. I'm not gay. I don't even know him. I met him today.. Say he is gay though, what if he's just a player? Most guys these days are.
"Dan." My mother knocks softly on my door "Dinners ready!"
I shake my head to lose the thoughts and walk out of my room. 
"Hey mom" I say dully. 
"Is something wrong Dan?"

My dad left when I was really young. My mom was the only person I had. I felt comfortable talking to her about almost anything. 

"Yeah.. Um.. I was just thinking haha uh do you.. Do you support gay people and stuff like that?" I said it really awkwardly and I instantly wish that I hadn't because she almost dropped the bowl of spaghetti. She placed it back on top of the stove and looked me dead in the eyes. She looked really angry and annoyed but I could tell she was faking it when her face started breaking out into a smile and she jumped up and down a little. 

"Are you gay Daniel!?" She practically screamed at me
"No-no mom I just wanted to know if you supported it because ya know its a topic of interest nowadays, and I uh might've met somebody today who is gay." I lied about Phil to get myself out of the awkward spotlight. 
"Oh. Okay" she said a little disappointed
"Do you want me to be gay?" I say laughing.
"Well frankly, I don't care. I just know girls are viscous these days. But i suppose everyone has a secret side. So i'm not sure." she said as she turned around and stirred the spaghetti.
"Well okay. Love you mom."