Phone calls

-Dans POV-

My phone buzzed in my hand. I looked down and it was my mum calling. It'd be best if I picked it up so she doesn't call the police or something.
"Hey mum."

"Hey baby, how's it going."

"I guess as good as you'd expect. Phil is asleep right now."

"Honey, I know that you need to be at the hospital with him but you also need to be home and... At school. You've been gone for days, you've already missed enough school this year." I sighed because I hated the thought of going back to school, but it gave me an excuse to leave the hospital. It could give me time to sort my feelings out, and help the tension in the room. I still like him, and that's a problem. If I still like him then I'm likely to date him again and then he's likely to go off and date somebody else again and I really don't need to go through that again.
I told Meghan that I would spend the night here but I needed to leave early in the morning to go to school. She looked upset and on the verge of begging me to stay. I truthfully didn't want to leave her alone with Phil but I had to leave.
I don't even know why I'm here in the first place. Me and Phil have talked like twice including the fight that we had yesterday. I know I'm not helping the situation. If anything, I'm making it worse just because I'm sitting in the corner like a little parasite in Phil's otherwise clean room. I have been able to bond a lot wit Meghan though, and she's actually and really nice and interesting person. Except for when she gets pissed at me for stuff I can't control.
I feel like I'm sacrificing too much for Phil when he clearly didn't sacrifice anything for me. You do not understand how uncomfortable hospital chairs are until you've had to sleep in them for three days. I'm gonna have back issues when I'm twenty because of these chairs. Also just the fact that I've spent the last three days in a hospital is crazy.
Number one: it's cold af in here
Number two: it smells hella funky. Like alcohol. The rubbing kind, not the drinking kind.
Number three: there's nurses and doctors in here 24/7. Which I guess is technically a good thing but you never get any privacy because nurses are always walking in, and you can't have more than a 30 minute conversation because a doctor will most likely walk in and start asking him questions.
I mean Phil isn't even awake half of the time so even if we were talking it'd have to be short intriguing conversations or else he's likely to fall asleep mid sentence.

I spent yet another horribly uncomfortable night in the hospital. I didn't get much sleep so I know school is gonna be hell today. I also decided to wait until this morning to tell Phil that I was leaving which probably wasn't the best idea, but I didn't know how he would react. He was up about the same time that I was so unfortunately I was going to have to tell him.
"Hey, I have to go to school."
There probably could've been better ways I could've said that, but he's so drugged he might not even know what I said.
"Okay."
I saw a tinge of pain. Like he was actually sad that I was leaving, but oh well. I left without saying anything else.
I grabbed some donuts out of the vending machine on my way out because I didn't have enough time to go back home before school. I hadn't given much thought about going back to school. The last time I was there was when Zack beat me to a pulp. My bruises were almost healed by now but what if he does it again? This time Phil won't be there to protect me. I don't need him to protect me though. Dan, you can stand up for yourself. You don't need some tall skinny boy with anger issues to take care of all your problems.
I actually was scared though. I think that I don't need Phil there to protect me, but deep down I know that I won't be able to fight off Zack on my own. I really didn't want to go to school.

~~~

School wasn't that bad and I didn't see Zack or Brady once. I don't really think anybody noticed that I was even gone, and nobody asked about Phil. I suppose I like it better than everybody asking.
Apparently Phil gets to go home today but he's staying with Meghan for a while. That makes me feel better about the situation, because Meghan will probably throw anything remotely sharp out of the house.
I was currently on my bed deciding want I want to do with the rest of my life. I wish I would've never met Phil, and I wish I had a new bed because the last I was on my bed, me and Phil were making out.
"Hey." My mom knocked on my door before walking in and sitting next to me on my bed.
"Yeah?"

"I'm proud of you for going to the hospital for him after what he did. Even though I'm angry that he treated you that way I think he needed you."

"I didn't really go for him."

"Oh." She nods and try's to figure out what exactly that meant. I think I'm still trying to figure it out.
"You should call him?" I think she had run out of suggestions and that was her last one.

"I should not."

"Why not? I can tell you still like him and he may be a dick but he needs somebody right now. Maybe yall could be friends? Or maybe just don't leave the relationship on a bad note."

"I don't care if we end on a bad note. I actually don't think there's a way for us to not end on a bad note. It's his fault it ended on a bad note."

"Okay." She sighed in defeat realizing that I definitely did not want to call him

"People like him don't deserve second chances."

"Why not?"

"Because... If you really love somebody then you shouldn't need a second chance. If you really love somebody then you won't ruin the first chance."

"I raised a smart kid." She gives me a smile before getting up and walking to the door. "I'm not saying you have to call him, I'm saying that I think you should. Maybe try and patch it up. Don't get back together with him though. That just sounds like trouble." She turned and closed my door behind her.
I sat on my bed for the longest time with my phone in my hand. I didn't want to call him, but I did want to at least try and make things better between us. Course I wouldn't be in this situation if he wouldn't have cheated on me in the first place. Or did he cheat on Meghan? Who did he actually start dating first? Were we even dating? What if him and Meghan were dating like months before we even met? Well now I had a valid reason to call him, because I'd be really pissed at him if he'd been dating Meghan for a while.
I turned on my phone but almost dropped it because it started beeping. Somebody was calling me. I look down and Phil's name is on my screen. Phil's is literally calling me right now? The obvious choice was to answer it since I was about to call him, but I froze up. I couldn't think. I wanted to answer it but every part of my body was telling me not to. Especially my heart, it was telling me that it wasn't worth it. It was telling me that the pain, the suffering, that he wasn't worth it. But my lips told me otherwise. They missed him. They missed opening to laugh at everything he said and even to yell at him when he was being a bitch. They missed the feel of his lips and his warm breath that smelled slightly like ranch. And somehow, for some weird reason, my lips won over my heart, and I answered.