𝐛𝐨𝐧𝐮𝐬! a holly jolly christmas

*:🎄・゚✧ ❄️*:・゚🎁✧

     THE BOX HIT THE FLOOR WITH A HARSH THUMP and a flurry of dust kicked up around it. There was a sprinkling of snow scattered across the top of the cardboard and I swept it off with my hand. This one was labelled bathroom but what with the four flights of stairs I had just climbed with this weighing heavy in my hands, I can't find the energy to move it a few feet into the room on my left.

     "If only we had magic wands to carry these up all of those stairs," I heard his voice come from behind me. I turned to see Cedric, red in the face, huffing as he too deposited a hefty box on the floor at his feet.

     I walked over to him and cupped his cheeks with my hands. "We live in a neighbourhood with Muggles now," I told him. "What on earth is magic?"

     He chuckled at my joke before shutting our new front door to a close with his back. "That was the last of them."

     "Thank, Merlin, for that," I said. Force of habit, I suppose.

     "Now, who on earth is Merlin?" Cedric chuckled.

     We may have underestimated how much adjusting to a mostly-Muggle lifestyle was going to be. Except for our professions, of course. But our neighbours certainly don't need to know that the new couple down the road fly brooms for a living. No, for the time we live under this roof, we must embrace the way of the Muggles. This city is, after all, quite a cramped one.

     Hogwarts, it turned out, was just the beginning of our time together. Cedric and I both went back home to live with our parents after we graduated and got part-time jobs working at our local grocery stores and library while we tried to figure the Quidditch thing out, sending each other masses of letters any chance we got.

     And we did indeed figure the Quidditch thing out. For the past year, both of us have been playing on our respective teams ─ Cedric for the Chudley Cannons and me for the Tutshill Tornados. We bought a house just outside of London and close enough to a train station for us to commute to practice when we are called. While working on the opposite sides of the country on competing teams, we come together for dinner and a daily catchup and its rather easy to make it to matches together. The competitive spirit comes out as soon as the train screeches into the station of whichever stadium we are playing that day.

     I stay in touch with Ava and Spencer as much as I can, and we have planned a New Years' Eve dinner party to reminisce the times before boyfriends and full-time jobs. It will be the first time I've seen them in a year.

     December first came and Cedric woke me up with a gingerbread latte in bed. He insisted we spend the morning picking out a Christmas tree and despite how hard it would be to carry it up all those stairs and how cold it had turned over the last couple of days, I didn't hesitate to say yes.