𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐨𝐧𝐞

I assumed dress shopping was meant to be more amusing than this and frankly more enjoyable. That of course wasn't Hermione's fault. She was loving our trip to Hogsmead, even if I was saddened by pretty much everything. I tried to be optimistic, A, because I didn't want to ruin this day for Hermione; I knew how excited she was for this ball. I mean, I would be too if I was going with Viktor Krum or if I had more than two friends at the moment and wasn't hated by almost half of the school. And B, because I needed to look on the brighter side of life, even if every part of that was Cedric.

"Y/N? Earth to Y/N?" Hermione nudged me.

"Oh sorry 'Mione; I was lost in thought. Um w-what were you saying?" I had my hands tucked tightly in my pockets and had my head down for I imagined the whole walk there. Hermione's arm was linked with mine. I was lucky to have her actually. And grateful at that. I'm not sure I know what I would have done if she didn't forgive me for how I had treated her previously. Honestly, I'm still not sure why she forgave me. I certainly wouldn't have. But I was appreciative none the less.

"I was asking if you had a colour in mind. You know, for your dress?"

"Oh um no, not really. Just going to see what they've got honestly." I shrugged, "why, did you?"

"I thought about either pink or like a deep purple."

"Why not both?" I suggested. "Make a statement."

"Huh. I hadn't thought of that. Oh we're here." she pointed to a small shop, on the corner of the village, almost tucked away from the rest of the busy street.

The shop was pretty and dainty, like the dresses on display actually.

"Are you girls here for dresses to the Yule Ball?" a kind, older lady said from the counter as we walked in; a measuring tape draped around her neck.

"Uh yes, we are." Hermione spoke.

"Come on in."

It didn't take long for Hermione to find her perfect dress. All of them looked wonderful on her, but this one stood out.

"That. That is the one." I said as she stepped onto the small platform before the mirror.

It was a ruffled, ankle length dress, with a gradient of pink and maroony purple. It was stunning. And practically made for her.

"You think?"

"Definitely."

"Great." she sighed a sigh of relief and smiled, blushing. "Now get up. You need one too!"

"I don't even know if I want to go anymore 'Mione. Isn't that like morally wrong for me to go with Ade after Spencer lashed at me for it?"

"He wants to go with you. And he will be a great distraction for you from Cedric, even if you just go as friends. As will dress shopping. So you're going." she dragged me up from the sofa and pushed me into one of the changing rooms and shoved about fifteen dresses into my face and smiled proudly. "Of you go."

She gasped as I walked out. "Y/N. I-It's...beautiful."

I furrowed my eyebrows slightly as I walked into the mirror's view. It was a slim-fitted, emerald, no, Slytherin green dress, that had a golden netting over the top of the silky green fabric. (you obvs don't have to have this lmao. have what you want :) )

"Really?"

"Y/N. I don't want to point out the obvious here, but it's incredible. You look hot."

"She's right. It's beautiful dear." the older lady had appeared again from what I assumed to be a storage room.

I gave them both grateful smiles as I looked back into the mirror. For once, I actually felt beautiful. (as you should. all of you. all day, everyday. you are all beautiful. i don't need to see you or know you to know that) Like truly. Maybe I did want to go to this stupid ball. And maybe it might make me feel better.