﹙ 𝐯𝐢 ﹚ detention

🖇·˚ ༘ ┊͙[ chapter six ] ! ˊˎ

╰─▸ the hogwarts library, late nights, and disagreements

     I DON'T USUALLY DAYDREAM AND MAYBE IT was just because I was tired and didn't get enough sleep and yet I was sat in the Slytherin common room, ignoring the world around me; in one of my own.

     "Hello?" I heard a muffled and very faint voice sound in my ear, "earth to y/n?"

     I jolted out of my daydream when whoever's voice it was got louder and more desperate to talk to me. I looked up to see Marcus staring back at me.

     "Yes?" I said with a sigh.

     "So, what do you think?" he asked.

     "About?" I questioned, rubbing my eyes.

     "Tryouts?" he asked, with his bushy eyebrows furrowing. "y/n, have you not been listening?"

     "Oh yeah, you go ahead, do what you think is best." I dismissed him, having no idea what I was saying; I was too tired to comprehend anything he was saying or had said to me. I hadn't been getting much sleep as of late (Spencer's snoring didn't help) and Quidditch season hadn't even started yet. Tryouts were a very important day of the year and yet, here I was barely even paying attention to what my teammate had to say.

     "But you're the captain, y/n. It's your call, not mine," he said. "Do you not sleep at all?"

     "Not really." I yawned and sunk deeper into the leather couch, in desperate need of comfort.

     "Well just meet me on the field tomorrow, we'll go over some drills or something," he suggested.

     "Gotcha ya," I said and I glanced at the large steel clock on the wall. 6:51. I sighed at how the sofa had never felt so comfortable, especially when I needed a great deal of relaxation, but, with extreme reluctance, I might add, I stood up.

     "Where are you going?"

     "Detention." I huffed and faked a smile, "I'll see you later."

     And with that, I made my way out of the great hall and down towards the dungeons.

     The dungeons were cold at this time of day and awfully quiet. The halls were silent bar the sound of my heels on the cold floor.

     I trudged towards Professor Snape's office at precisely 6:59 pm. I knocked on the door and in hearing the droning monotone of Snape's voice, entered the room, to see him sitting at his desk, with a tall, brunette boy sitting opposite him.

     You have to be joking.

     "Miss y/l/n, one minute early I see. Please take a seat and I'll explain what the two of you will be doing this evening."

     I cautiously sat down on a leather chair in front of the Professor's desk and looked back at the boy next to me.

     "Diggory."

     "y/l/n." 

     "Now, you both know why you are so if you would like to follow me."

     He got up from his seat and the two of us began following him out of the office. Diggory was a short distance behind the potions professor and I was struggling to keep up as my feet trudged along the stone floor. It was quiet when I walked myself to his office and yet, now there were three people in the same hallway at once, the awkwardness made it seem still. Not the peaceful kind. The tense kind. You could hear a pin drop if you wanted to.