﹙ 𝐱𝐢𝐱﹚ a change of ways

🖇·˚ ༘ ┊͙[ chapter nineteen ] ! ˊˎ

╰─▸ mornings, hippogriffs, and werewolves

     THERE IS SOMETHING IMMENSELY APPEALING ABOUT MORNINGS. No matter the time I go to bed, my body wills me awake with the sun, desperate to soak in the peace of the early hours.

     My morning routines vary, but one thing stays the same ─ no one is ever up at the same time I am. It's become something I can rely on, something constant. That, regardless of how hectic and crowded the day becomes as lessons begin and students flood the common room after school, I will always have the mornings. When a cup of coffee tastes especially creamy, when a day can start out grey and still be beautiful when the loudest sound in the entire castle is the birds' cadence from where they are perched on the tallest trees.

     It must have been six o'clock when I first woke this morning; Ava and Spencer sound asleep on the beds surrounding me. Today, I opted for a morning stroll around the castle grounds.

     There isn't much to go on when looking out of the windows in the dungeons to try and determine the time or the weather of the day ahead. The water from the lake is as murky as ever, but the vast pool still sleeps, the waves at the surface slow and steady. I quietly slipped from my sheets, changed into something that would combat the crisp early Spring air, and escaped through the common room.

     When I made it to the first courtyard, and out through the back onto the grassland towards the greenhouses, I got the first glimpses of the first signs of life.

     An orange sun was beginning to emerge from the greying clouds. It peaked out over the tops of the branches of the forest. Touches of blue scattered the canvas overhead, promises of sun and warmth after the colder months of the year. The plants were starting to recover from the hardships of winter, as Spring was coming to life, slowly but surely. The light hums of nature around me brought peace to my mind, a natural lullaby.

     It's times like these that keep me sane. When the stresses of life cease to exist, and for a moment ─ even just one short moment ─ everything is simple. No complications, just comforting and still, my chance to try and catch up before the day gets ahead of me and I fight the overwhelming emotions that come with it.

     Filling my lungs with the air as fresh as it comes, I perched down on the ridge of the grassy hill and pulled my knees into my chest. I stared up at the crimson sky and the horizon just below it, taking in the picturesque scene, trying my best to keep the serenity of the moment locked in my head, scared it would disappear in a second and I'll have to wait an eternity for this feeling to return.

     At the bottom of the humped grassland, Hagrid's hut sat looking as friendly as ever. Smoke rose from the cobblestone chimney, the pumpkins flourishing in the shiny light. That's when I first saw it, huddled in the same patch of giant vegetables. It was a graceful-looking bird, fitting perfectly into this untouched, magical world I had sealed in my head.

     I squinted my eyes to get a closer look. Two angelic wings were placed carefully at its sides, its body coated in a layer of creamy-coloured feathers. Without feeling any kind of anxiety ─ something I pegged down to the glory of mornings ─ I decided to approach the creature, proceeding with caution as I got closer and closer. As I did, the beast began backing away, only slightly, but indicating the nerves on its end too.

     I had always been fascinated with Magical creatures and they gave me a sense of pride and gratitude to be lucky enough to be a part of this unbelievable world. Creatures, such as the one in front of me, were a staple reminder that beauty comes from everywhere and I should never take for granted the chances I have to exist in a reality such as this one. This castle alone is a gift.