𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐭𝐰𝐨

Tonight was the night. It had been gossiped about and awaited for weeks. But it was happening right now. I don't think I had ever been anxious about Christmas Eve before, but here I was, standing beside the steps down to the great hall, dreading what I had to do next.

- about fifteen minutes prior -

"You l-look r-really pretty, Y/N." I turned away from the mirror, to see Harry standing in the doorframe. 

"Why thank you Harry. You cleaned up quite nicely I see." he blushed and chuckled to himself. "Although..." I walked over to him and he stood up straight. I reached out for his wonky and awfully done bow tie and he flinched. "It's alright Potter. I'm just sorting it out. You can relax." he smiled and I turned the once awkward tie, to a neat, straight one. "That's better, don't you think?" he looked down and nodded.

"Well, shall we?" he offered his arm for me to link in mine. 

"We shall." I gladly accepted and he lead me out of Hermione's dorm and out into the Gryffindor common room, where a few gazes ended up on us as we reached the redhead. "Interesting dress robe choice Ron." he sighed in his over-ruffled and ancient outfit. "Hey! I personally think you look very handsome Ronald." he too blushed.

"Y-you look h-handsome too Y/N." Harry burst into laughter. "Wait no. You look very pretty. Yes. That's what I meant, pretty. Not handsome. Not that you aren't handso-"

"Ron. It's okay." I chuckled, finding his attempt to compliment me adorable. "Thank you." I noticed two taller redheads by the fire and I excused myself from the two boys and walked over to them. "Excuse me? George?"

"Why hello Y/N. Can I help you?"

"I was just wondering who you were taking tonight?"

"Oh I'm taking Ava."

I may not be on the best of terms with either of them, but it made me happy that she was going with George. "Great. Thanks." I nodded and headed back to Ron and Harry who lead me out of the painting and towards the ball itself. 

The two of them went and searched for their dates, the Patil twins, and I found myself alone, petrified of having to show myself any moment now. Where was Hermione when I needed her?

- present -

I thought it was about time I made my way down. So with one deep breath and a moment to gather myself, I braved it and stepped out to face the stairs. Carefully, I made my way down the stone steps towards the great hall, trying to maintain a pleasant-ish smile. 

Cedric's POV

And there she was. Her dress almost as beautiful as she was. At the sight of her, I punched myself for how I hurt her. She was, breathtaking. I tried not to make it obvious when I stared at her, although I knew it was. I couldn't stop myself. She was searching around the room for whoever she decided to bring and it pained me to know that it wasn't me. My heart practically stopped when our eyes met and it felt as though I had fell in love with her all over again. It was only when Cho walked over to me, that I had to take my eyes of her, however much I didn't want to.

Y/N POV

It was intimidating I must admit, but exciting none the less. I knew I was meant to be looking for Adrian, but I'm sure he had found me as it felt as though the whole room was staring at me. But I was looking for someone else; Cedric. And I found him, looking as handsome as ever. How I wished I was going with him. But my wishes changed when Cho walked over to him and our eye contact was broken.

I found Adrian waiting for me at the bottom of the stairs, mouth agape. "Y/N. You look amazing."

I laughed, "thank you Ade. You don't look too bad yourself." I playfully knocked him. It was true. He looked the most good looking I had ever seen him. I mean he always looked good, but tonight was a bit different to every other day, I thought.