𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐧𝐢𝐧𝐞

"Y/N?" the voice spoke again. I looked up to a smallish demeanour, yellow lined robes and a head of darkened brown hair. "Are you alright? I've been looking everywhere for you." he said, slumping down next to me.

I sniffled, wiping away yet another tear that had escaped.  "I don't want to bother you with my boy troubles Will, so I'm just gonna go back to my dorm."

"Will? You just...called me Will." he stopped me, "I don't care if it takes all day. Something must be really wrong for you to call me by my name, Y/N."

I returned to my spot in the shadowy hallway next to my brother. "It's Cedric. He forgot."

"He forgot today?" I nodded, "well then lose him."

"I can't just-"

"Yes. Yes you can. Look, I may have not done it until now, but I'm your brother Y/N and I meant to look out for you. And now seems like a good time to start. It's your eighteenth birthday for Merlin's sake. And you should not be here, troubling yourself about some fame obsessed boy that didn't have the decency to wish you a happy birthday!"

Brothers are meant to be a shelter when the storm hits. And right now, he was doing exactly that. As his sister, I owed him more than I gave. I was broken and I never thought he'd be the one to pick me up. I curled into him, and felt his protection, as a sister does. Sure, he was younger than me and maybe I had never felt a strong sibling bond until now, yet there will come a time when the roles will reverse. When he needs comfort and protection, I should be there. And I will.

"And this is for you." he pulled out a neatly wrapped box; wrapped neater then I ever thought Will could have the skills to do. "Happy birthday, Y/N." I smiled up at him now, my face red and puffy, as he passed me the box. I teared off the paper and lifted the lid, to reveal a dainty, golden necklace, a blissful, modest ball at the end: a quaffle to be exact. "Do you like it? I picked it out myself."

"Will, it's perfect. Thank you." he aided me in putting the necklace on, "I didn't expect you of all people to put this much thought into a gift." I chuckled.

"Well, it's not everyday you turn eighteen. Annnnddd, yesterday was quidditch tryouts." my eyes widened, "you're looking at Hufflepuff's newest chaser."

My mouth dropped open, "second year huh? Not bad. I'm really proud of you Will. That's amazing. I mean I was in my first-"

"Oh alright!" he nudged me.

For a moment, the two of us were simply laughing. For a moment, I was enjoying my birthday. I never had the closest relationship with my brother, but right now, it felt as strong as ever. And that made me happy as can be. It was, in fact, the best birthday gift I could have received.

•·················•·················•

I thought now was my chance. Cedric had told me to meet him outside the library at 7pm. Well it was five to and I was strutting my way there. I was angry. Even if this was the surprise, don't you think he would have said something before now? And why Cho Chang? He wouldn't have told me that they were studying if it weren't true.

He was standing by the door, leaning against the cobblestone wall, his hair flopped to one side.

"You're early. That's not like you-"

"Do you really not know what today is?" I asked, trying to stop myself from not only lashing out but also from breaking down.

"Err Saturday? Did I miss something here?"

"It's my eighteenth birthday Diggory!" the tears were by all means on their way. With those words, I could hear the guilt rising from him. "But I guess you were too 'unavailable' to care."