11

Duncan

As I stroll into my last class, I catch sight of Courtney sitting right where she always does, in the front and center. Her head is slightly bowed, and her short hair falls across most of her face, concealing her expression. I stop in the open doorway, taking a moment to observe her closely. While the rest of the class is abuzz with conversation and laughter, Courtney stands out as the only one who seems to be in a somber state. She just appears...sad.

Overwhelmed.

I casually walk by her without saying a word, heading to my usual spot at the back of the classroom. Geoff's already there, with Gwen by his side, gossiping about me while he just sits there, clueless.

I can tell Gwen has ulterior motives. She's only talking to Geoff because she wants something from him.

"Duncan, hey!" she exclaims when she sees me, rolling her eyes as she swivels her desk to face me completely. "Are you getting bored already?"

With her? Absolutely. "What are you
talking about?"

"Working with her. I bet you're absolutely despising every single moment," she says, pointing at Courtney's back. "Having DJ as my partner is alright, I guess. He's a little dull. He just keeps rambling on and on about animal stuff."

And that's because DJ is smart as hell, while Gwen, well, she's not exactly the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to school. But I can't really say that to her face, can I? "DJ's intelligence will definitely guarantee that you get an A grade for the project."

"Well," Gwen sighs, tilting her head back and locking eyes with Geoff, both of them grinning. "I'd prefer be your partner, Duncan."

"Hey, what about me?" Geoff says, playfully putting his arm around her and casually resting his hand on her shoulder. "Don't you want to be my partner, Gwen?"

She scrunches up her nose. "Not happening. Don't you already have a girlfriend?" She pushes his hand away and stands up, coming to stand in front of me.

How ironic of her to say that. Geoff doesn't have any romantic feelings for Gwen at all. He was just messing around. His girlfriend, Bridgette, is the most important person to him.

This is another thing I don't like about Gwen. She also keeps trying to get to me through Geoff, by becoming friends with him. He doesn't seem to understand what she's really trying to do.

But what I really hate is that she's always jokingly flirting with him. The moment he tries to remind her that he has a girlfriend, she acts like he's a disgusting cheater and pushes him away.

It's tiring.

And risky.

I let out an exhausted sigh as I realize she's not finished talking. I tilt my head back and look at her directly. "What do you need, Gwen?"

"Why don't you come with me and let's talk to Mr. Todd? I know you're not happy with... her as your partner." She nods towards Courtney. "I bet if we both go up there and explain our situation, Mr. Todd might listen."

It might not work out, but it's worth a shot. I can imagine Courtney would feel relieved if she didn't have to deal with me anymore. Plus, getting away from her would definitely help me feel less frustrated.

But I won't switch. "I'd rather work with Courtney, thanks."

Gwen's jaw drops. "Seriously? You're not telling me you actually like working with the prude?"

"Stop saying that, Gwen," I snap, my irritation evident in my voice.

"What's the big deal? It's true, isn't she a virgin?"