26

Courtney

I can't concentrate with Duncan all up in my space in Mr. Todd's class. We're supposed to be working on our outline, and I've pretty much nailed my part, but he's being lazy. I'm trying to help by pointing out our differences, but it turns into a full-blown argument.

Then his ridiculously good-looking face sidetracks me, along with his enticing scent. The tousled state of his hair, courtesy of that beanie he's been sporting all day, catches my attention. Currently, he's chewing gum, popping and blowing bubbles, earning him an irritated glance from me.

"Can you please stop that?"

He blows one more bubble, then bursts it with his lips. "Does that bother you?"

I nod, giving him a look, but it's all in good fun.

"Want some?"

"No, Duncan." I grab my backpack, unzip the front pocket, and retrieve a pack of Skittles—my preferred candy. "I'll eat these instead."

He squints at me. "Chewing on one of those in front of me, Princess? You're playing with fire."

"Is that so?" I rip a piece off the wrapper and pop a yellow Skittle into my mouth, letting my lips close around it.

He fixes his gaze on my mouth, observing as I suck on the Skittle. The more he looks, the warmer I feel, and a sudden realization hits me.

This likely appears quite... dirty to him.

I can't believe I'm so clueless.

I chew and swallow the Skittle. "Maybe I'll save these for later."

"No, don't let me interrupt." Leaning on the desk, he props his chin on his fist, grinning. "Enjoy it. I know I am."

I bring a red Skittle to my lips, hesitating. "This seems a bit suggestive to you?"

"Seriously dirty, Princess. Let your imagination run wild with what you'd do if you had the chance with me."

His words set me on fire, the hint of promise adding fuel to the flames. I might mess it up—what he's suggesting. I'm not even sure if I want him in my mouth like that.

Would I?

The familiar ache starts in my belly, and I slide the Skittle into my mouth, keeping my eyes fixed on his. I puff my cheeks, giving the candy a good, strong suck.

"Is this practice?" he asks.

"Uh, for what?"

"You know exactly what."

I look at him. "Never saw it like that. I've just always been a fan of Skittles."

He grins in a slow and... sexy way. "Me too. Especially when you're sucking them like that."

At least he's stopped snapping and popping his gum.

I change the subject.

"Feeling prepared for the English test and paper?"

"Yeah." He casually shrugs. "I'm thinking of rewatching the movie, see if that sparks some ideas."

"Did you read the book?" I finished it a few nights ago.

Duncan shakes his head. "Nah, not planning on it."

"Duncan..."

He smiles. "Courtney."

"Read the book."

He shrugs once more. "It's boring. The movie's way better."

"It might not hit the points Mrs. Mallory wants us to cover."