29

Courtney

I'm still in bed, half-asleep, when there's an urgent knocking on my door.

Barely cracking open one eye, I reach for my phone to check the time.

It's not even seven o'clock yet. School doesn't start for another hour.

They begin banging on my door again, then it stops.

"Courtney. Open the door please."

It's Gwen.

Getting out of bed, I put on my slippers and shuffle across the room. I unlock and open the door, finding Gwen standing there in her uniform, all set for the day. But her face is blotchy with tears. "You okay?"

She hurries in, closing the door firmly behind her, and leans back against it. "It's about Duncan."

I feel a surge of panic, but I maintain a calm expression.

"What happened?"

Gwen bursts into tears.

I approach my dresser, retrieve the tissue box resting there, and offer it to her. "What's going on?"

Gwen grabs a tissue and wipes her face before blowing her nose. "I couldn't sleep at all last night. It was just awful!"

"What?"

"Something went down last night. Being on the ground floor, I heard it all. A group of girls came out and witnessed the whole thing."

I frown. "What exactly did they witness?"

"Bridgette was apparently having a heated argument with Duncan right outside the dorm. Can you believe it? I thought there was something going on between him and me, but maybe they've been secretly hooking up this whole time?"

I flop onto the bed, her words echoing in my mind on a loop.

With Duncan.

Bridgette was outside with Duncan.

Maybe she was trying to sneak in, and he caught her since he walked me over? That's gotta be it.

"What happened?" I ask. "Do you know anything about it?"

"I overheard them having a huge argument. We all did. Bridgette was screaming her head off. It's strange because she's usually so chill. I don't know why Duncan was even there in the first place."

I wish I could tell her he was with me. We were watching a movie, but things escalated. He kissed me passionately, his desire evident. We did things we shouldn't have, and it was incredible.

Tarnished by the fact that he ended up being caught with... Bridgette?

I knew she occasionally spent time with Duncan's friend group, but that was solely because she's dating Geoff. As far as I know, Bridgette doesn't even have feelings for Duncan.

Oh my gosh. Does Geoff even know what's going on with his girlfriend?

Gwen grabs another tissue and wipes her face again, then heads to the full-length mirror on my wall, inspecting her appearance. "I look like I've been bawling my eyes out."